How to remove the residue after removing a rod guide

Started by Reel Beaker, March 21, 2019, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy247

If your first turn of thread is loose, don't worry about it. The first one pretty much always is. Just make sure that you leave a tag end that is long enough that you can get a decent grip on it with your fingers. Make 4-5 turns, covering your tag end, then pull on the tag end to tighten it all up. If you still have gaps in your thread at this point, use your burnishing tool (or whatever you're using) to push the threads together so your gaps are gone. Try pulling on that tag end again to tighten up again and trim your tag end.

Having something to help keep tension on your thread is very helpful as well. When I started, I used a thread bobbin which not only kept the thread under consistent tension when turning, but if you have that cardboard box with the "V's" cut in it to hold the blank like Sheridan suggested, gravity will keep tension on that thread. Just let the bobbin hang and it'll keep your wrap from unraveling. Definitely easier than trying to grow an extra hand in my opinion....

Midway Tommy

If using a cardboard box with Vs to hold the rod, or it laying across your knees, the old timers ran the thread between two books to keep tension on the thread. Sometimes I'll hold the tag end with a piece of masking tape if my fingers aren't nimble and working correctly.  :) Then, like Fishy247 says, after 5 or 6 wraps, before going up over guide foot, I'll use my thumbnail to close any gaps and pull the tag tight & cut it off. It's fairly simple after that. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reel Beaker

Just finished wrapping a side of a 2-feet guide.

Below are some pics:
https://imgur.com/uOUKbts
https://imgur.com/DqvoQJl

Some wraps seem to be a little loose and not closely packed enough.
Decent for a 1st attempt i guess. Was exhausting trying to tie everything with just hands and 2 plastic boxes as supports, without a stand.
Can only hope for better workmanship as time goes by.

Midway Tommy

I've seen worse on first attempts. If you support the rod in Vs cut in the sides of a cardboard box and have a little tension on the thread it will allow you to control the rod better. You can close the spaces with your thumbnail as you work along the guide foot. Keep your thread at a slight, but not too much, angle toward the portion you've already wrapped. That will help keep the wraps tighter together. You can burnish the whole wrap later to smooth it out even more. Also, if you are having trouble seeing what you are doing get a $2 pair of magnified reading glasses and if you start to wrap over one of your wraps, like you've done a couple of times, back it off a turn or two and re wrap. Over wraps aren't terrible but they create humps when you try to put on the finish.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishy247

In case you didn't know, burnishing is simply using a tool(or fingernail) to move your wrapped threads around once they are on the rod. They sell burnishing tools for cheap online, but you can make it work with different things. When I was first introduced to wrapping, my buddy told me to use a nail! I've used 16d nails, pens, pen caps, shoot, even a Phillips head screwdriver! Whatever you do decide to use, make sure that it's clean. Any sort of contaminant on that tool will be transferred to your thread. Denatured alcohol cleans it up nicely. Any oils will really mess up your final finish.

steelfish

Quote from: Fishy247 on March 26, 2019, 04:23:34 PM
..........my buddy told me to use a nail! I've used 16d nails, pens, pen caps, shoot, even a Phillips head screwdriver! Whatever you do decide to use, make sure that it's clean. Any sort of contaminant on that tool will be transferred to your thread. Denatured alcohol cleans it up nicely. Any oils will really mess up your final finish.

thats why is better to spend $2 on a proper burnishing tool than mess a 45hrs work  :o :o
The Baja Guy

The Fishing Hobby

I have several videos I have done on rod building and guide wrapping including one on making a cardboard box wrapping jig in this playlist you may find useful: Fishing Rod Building - DIY Rod Building Jigs - Rod Customizing: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX7a8aD_4rEmd_Fl_J4RfNRsUZ3fe6fby