A nature walk on the saltchuck.

Started by gstours, March 25, 2019, 09:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is what you are likely to see when you go trolling the shoreline out my way.   These were taken in the last few weeks.  I,m glad to share some with you. :)

Some mornings are calm, and serene.

here is a small raft of sea otters just doing what they do.

generally you will see some bald eagles in trees watching carefully everything.

here is a lucky shot to see one more coming ti visit in flight.

sometimes you may see a moose or bear.

Here are last years twins, with the mother.   collared and tagged for study by ADF&Game.    Quite possibly on calf may not be a twin, butt an orphan.   Anyway i,m glad you came with me on the boat ride.   Thanks.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

That's some beautiful country Gary. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

I never heard of saltchuck.  I had to go to Oxford's Dictionary to find it.  I enjoyed your saltchuck adventure.  I intend to stay out of deep saltchuck.   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Thanks to all.  I had a friend my dads age from Canada's decent that lived in British Columbia on the water that always referred to the coastal estuaries as the salt chuck.   It's in need of a revival for the city slickers who wants to get out of town and get some fresh sea food.  Salt in the suv 🚙. No no👫👠👡👢👎

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

David Hall

Navidad Nutcase

Saltchuck may be a ''north of 49'' thing. Anyone here on Vancouver Island that has a boat knows the term.
How 'bout it,  south of ''49''ers? Is it used in say Washington state, Oregon, California ? How about maine , Florida, or Texas ?

Greg  - Nanaimo,B.C.
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

Steve-O

I got my intro to saltchuck during my 20 years of going to Alaska fishing.

Down here in the desert we have the Salt Flats...lol...and the Great Salt Lake...which used to be Lake Bonneville and was freshwater.

Back home in NC the coast was the beach or the brackish water was the sound with bays. No Chuck involved.

And a big thank you to Gary for the pics!

Gobi King

Thanks for sharing, are those radio collars on the baby moose?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

gstours

Yes, mr. gobi,  these moose are "managed ". A great job for an up and coming biologist type,  they are going to save the world 🌎 by using science and never politics in their decisions.
    Our black bears are not out of their dens yet here.  The cubs are always so cute to watch. Thanks.

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on March 25, 2019, 11:18:43 PM
I never heard of saltchuck.  I had to go to Oxford's Dictionary to find it...     ::) Dominick

Gary,

Like Dominick, I too had to look up the word  SALTCHUCK -  It first sounded like one of  those $5 College words.

And TANKS for the word education!

WayneO

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Navidad Nutcase

If they really are going to save the world WITHOUT politics, they may just get it done.
And I too appreciate all these pictures and video
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

gstours

Only a small percentage of our moose are tagged in the ear or have radio transmitting collars.   Here is a picture of one in our backyard a while back.  Just waiting for spring.

and the big sister,

Hardy Boy

Gary: We get these guys flocked up in the winter. Cool to see when you go for a walk down by the "Chuck" (we usually don't say the salt part). They flock up in the winter. I'll let you guess the bird species.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd