Fenwick Rods

Started by Bryan Young, March 26, 2019, 04:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

My neighbor gave me a few reels that he wanted to clear out of his garage. It used to be his uncle's
Fishing equipment.  I kept the Dam Quick reel and gave the two ultra lites to my co-worker because he said he wanted to take his kids fishing.  But I didn't have ultralite rods. So I asked my neighbor if he had some rods he wanted to get rid of and brought over these three rods for me. He said he didn't find the ultralites but I could have these. Let's see what he brought over.

Rod #1 - Fenwick FS85 still in Fenwick's triangle tube. This is an amazing steelhead rod that has been used in Hawaii fishing for papio when I was growing up. Amazing condition. I'll likely use it for surf perch fishing even though I just purchased a new surf perch rod.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Rod #2 - Fenwick FS90. Similar to the FS85 except 9 feet long.  This one has never been fished.  See the tags in the last photo. This rod was over $50 back in the 80s. i Was just thinking about the Phoenix Trifecta lite 10 foot rod I was eyeing for $180 (Fred Hall Show Sale) over 30 years later.

By the way, if you are looking for the best surf perch and striper rod for our fishing in California, I would say that the Phoenix Trifecta Lite is the best that I have seen.

Anyway, back to the rod. I will likely take this rod to Hawaii and whip for Papio and oio.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

Wow still gots it's tags.  That's a special one.

Bryan Young

And lastly Rod #3 - Fenwick HMG GFS83. Lighter steelhead rod and one of Fenwick's Line in the hay day.  I will use this rod also in the surf to cast light swim baits and MarkWhite plugs. I cannot believe these rods used to come with an aluminum tube.

Bryan Young

Ok. Now I have to line up reels for these rods. Will be using 20-30# braid with fluorocarbon topshots in 20-30# range for abrasion resistance, strength so I don't lose my lure, and invisibility. Should I go modern or classic like Penn SS or Dam Quick? 

Donnyboat

They look great Bryon, thanks for showing them, happy fishing cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

philaroman

OK, how do I block this thread?  ...this is bad enough -- I don't wanna' writhe in envy,
when you pull out the L/UL's that your neighbor couldn't find, yet :o

seriously, I'd worry about braid chewing up old Fen. wire guides (esp., on such pristine rods)
also, most classic reel line-lay isn't good enough for braid, IMHO
not an issue lobbing bait; might be an issue surf-casting for distance
unless the 9-footer is full ceramic, I'd go classic/mono for the glass & modern/braid for the HMG

ideally, what I like best for braid, is premium old glass rebuilt w/ modern ceramics
I'd keep those beauties untouched & sell 'em when the market is optimal,
to finance well-used similar rods (or, heavier flyrods) w/ good blanks & trashed components,
to be upgraded/modernized with Fuji hardware

smnaguwa

What a terrific neighbor! I "invested" in a FS85 while going to school in Seattle. Never got a steelhead but got a whitefish. Used it for coho fishing and the guides grooved using mono. I put on ceramic guides and have used it with braided line for stripers in Sacramento. The action is great for braided line.

Ron Jones

For the FS90, I'd consider a Mitchel 900. 300 simplicity, high speed and skirted spool.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

happyhooker

Absolutely beautiful rods.

Frank

Jim Fujitani

steelfish

big score right there Mr Young.

great rods, but as its already mentioned, the old guides might not be the best for braid line use and those rods dont deserve to be touched and upgrade the guides.

The Baja Guy