? shimano fighting star drag

Started by beancounter, March 28, 2019, 12:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beancounter

I recently picked up a couple small graphite reels with the fighting star drag. Can anyone here explain exactly how it works? I am guessing the smaller round knob presets the drag and the star adjusts it up and down quickly if needed during a battle. Is that right?

reel man

The small knob centers the spool and may be used to reduce over runs. The star increases/decreases the drag pressure. I think the reel was billed, "Teach ank anchovie how to fly"

beancounter

No reel man I am not asking about the spool load adjustment knob. There is a star drag and another round knob under the fighting star wheel that adjusts drag as well. Waiting for someone that has experience with this specific system to comment.

chockpish

I think it may be a two speed reel! One is the drag and the other is to switch from one speed to an other! JMHO!
Tight lines, be safe, fish hsard!

philaroman

Shimano's Fightin'Drag on rear-drag spinners is an extra feature -- a lever that nudges the drag in either direction, in small precise increments, without changing the main drag setting...  very convenient, for those who like to fuss w/ the drag while playing a fish (I also use it as a poor-man's pseudo-Baitrunner)

not sure about baitcasters -- I'd guess the big wheel between star & handle, does the same thing...  prob. made obsolete by calibrated (clicky) stars, unlike the spinners that have been in continuous production 40+ yrs.

hurt locker

Yes, you are correct. The small knob is a pre-set for the drag, like on a lever drag. Be careful if you take it apart because there is a very small ball single bearing that is under the drag star that is very easy to lose. I found that out the hard way! I had to keep messing with my Triton Speedmasters until I found the Strike setting that I liked and was comfortable with.

beancounter

Thanks for the bearing warning was thinking about opening them up tonight now I know what to watch out for.

philaroman

just open it up "in containment" -- bucket, clear bag, etc.