Question.?

Started by gstours, April 01, 2019, 06:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here's a reply to the finger grooves mr Donny asked about.  The rod he talked about is still on the boat, butt here's the basic idea done to some rods in my hobby room.

gstours

The grip shown is hypalon and it can be sanded into this shape quite easily using an arbor drum sander, as shown is a couple ho made ones, using scrap grinding belt pieces.

gstours

Okuma and penn make some rods with a flat spot on the top of the grip, others make a triangle type,  my experience is this is easy enough to do and makes the rod more comfortable when in hard use.👌
   Using a variable speed drill 90 degrees to the rod that is held in a benchvise is quite simple and go slow at first,  use coarse paper to rough it into shape then smooth it by hand at the last.     🚣‍♀️🤔🎣

David Hall

Trying out new things to see what works and what you like and don't like is a huge part of the game.  I love to see what's going on behind the scenes before the boats go out. 

gstours

A walk on the shoreline is the best way to forget your problems,  it seems kinda what the docktor wood order for a prescription,  especially if you lack the motovation to fix da boat? ???

Donnyboat

Thanks Gary, for you informative reply & photos of the hand grip, I have a nice rod here, with a smooth glass type of but, that would be great by doing what yours are like,I was under the imprecion that hypalon was not sold anymore, can some one inform me more, about its availabilty, thanks again Gary great photos, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Fishy247

Hypalon is no longer sold in the USA, I'm not sure about the rest of the world. The stuff that's supposed to replace it is called EPDM. I don't think I've worked with it yet, but it's supposed to be pretty comparable. When I get some to play with, I'll post about it.

Mike

gstours

Hypalon may be a trade name?  Its not being made in the USA any longer because of enviromental issues i was told.  Butt I did purchase some recently from Florida Mudhole Folks.  Its a good fore grip material,  Butt cork is more attractive, and less durable especially for rod holders and strangers. ;)

Just another calm cool morning with a big smile in mind.

Every corner is another nature walk.

David Hall

Salmon season opens tomorrow and the forecast is for 6-8' swell at 12 seconds with 4-5' wind waves. 
Think I will sit out the opener and hope for better days soon and while I wait I went and visited our friend Jon V. Who finished up my Lamiglass XCC 111, and it's a beauty, the color scheme is a beautiful root beer brown and gold with fades all over.  His wraps are unique and beautifully executed.  I cannot wait to feel the pull of a nice King Salmon in this one. 

Fishy247

That's a pretty sweet stick Dave! It looks like it'll be nice to fish and really put the hurtin on a nice fish. Hopefully you'll be breaking it in soon!

Benni3

Quote from: gstours on April 01, 2019, 04:34:27 PM
Just my luck, the weather improved and then they closed the season,  it's still alright 🤗
that's a nice looking tiger you got,,,, ;)

gstours

Yes Davee,  Sorry your getting some of our crappy weather,  Better weather is always following a weekend! ;)    Good luck to all you fishing for a highly prized King.   They closed our season to share with you folks.  We all like some salmon for dinner.  Sandwiches are over the top great in my book.   
  Your JV rod is looking very nice.  I wish I had more time to practice on this kind of stuff.   Thanks for sharing your pictures.   Now send us a nice fat chromer king pik. ???    And a story could be told. :o

David Hall

Plenty of days left in the season and the flu has me under the weather, don't like fishing while I'm sick anymore.  Another day, I can't wait to post a video and pics for everyone's enjoyment.  In the mean time I live on Gary and Kens!

Dominick

We all live vicariously through Gary and Ken.  Go get em David when you feel better.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

What makes a King white at times, what its been eating?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!