Question.?

Started by gstours, April 01, 2019, 06:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Dominick on April 07, 2019, 02:30:26 AM
We all live vicariously through Gary and Ken.  Go get em David when you feel better.  Dominick

Gary's videos certainly brightened up my winter.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

David Hall

I'm going tomorrow, I decided I could stay home and feel sick, or I could go fishing and feel sick, either way I'm still gonna feel sick, so why not enjoy the chance to boat a bright chrome King. 

Frank

Quote from: David Hall on April 07, 2019, 04:58:19 AM
I'm going tomorrow, I decided I could stay home and feel sick, or I could go fishing and feel sick, either way I'm still gonna feel sick, so why not enjoy the chance to boat a bright chrome King. 

Best of luck to you. Please take some pictures.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

gstours

Thanks for the great question.  I used to think it was the diet of the fish, butt now biological data says it's genetic behavior.  Apparently even separate spawning of a white buck and hen will not necessarily produce white meated offspring.  Even though these fish are rare in some places it's not uncommon to find a few in other geographical areas.   I was lucky to find a couple to show you.
   So what are they good for?🤔

gstours

It's always fun, to go out there and troll for the morning,  you always enjoy 😉 your coffee and sandwiches 🥪 more.   It even makes the drive home 🏡 a little better.

David Hall

Went out early forecast predicted high surf, forecast was wrong. It was beautiful on the water, stomach was still giving me fits, but I took my prednisone and ate a fistful of antacids and all was well.  Fishing by 0700, first fish in the boat by 0800, second fish came about an hour later and third fish about an hour after that.  My two guests boated the first two fish and I had the honours of boating the third, damnit Jim! I'm a doctor not a lawyer and the third fish was found not guilty and fled the scene post haste.  Nada after that in spite of watching every single boat within sight was honking up and nets were flying, pictures were few and far between because it was Wild West dangerous out there,  hundreds of boats everywhere all vying for the same piece of water.  It was first day of the new season for me and boating two fish and losing only around $100.00 worth of gear was a good day, yesterday a fisherman lost his brand new pickem up truck at the Monterey Launch.  Today one guy lost a $700.00 rod and reel, a number of other guys lost cannonballs and terminal gear, one guy lost both his canon balls and terminal gear, my biggest fail, I did not make a bait stop and went with only artificial that I tied, three hookups though so I call that a win?  Even if the fish switched to only biting bait after noon.  Next time I will have bait.  I lost one canon ball and all terminal gear to a submerged crab pot, while I was repairing a frayed cable on the other side downrigger.  Can't be everywhere watching everything all at once.  So I bring the downriggers home and refit them. Picture to follow after I get it transferred from my phone.  It was a long day up at 0330 out the door by 0415, at the boat by 0515, out the harbour at 0600 a short run and fishing by 0640.
Many more days of this to follow, despite numerous offers to share I insisted my buddies each take a fish home.  That was wrong, I should have accepted the offer to share in the bounty of the clan.  My wife would have been happier with me this evening!

Fishy247

Nice! Glad to hear that you got out and got a couple Dave!

Dominick

Good going David.  Did you fish out of Moss Landing or somewhere else?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Quote from: Dominick on April 10, 2019, 02:53:36 AM
Good going David.  Did you fish out of Moss Landing or somewhere else?  Dominick

Right out of moss and ran 7 miles out over the south canyon Edge 300' water give or take 100'. 
Fished for 2 hrs fought one fish, discovered the main school was only 5 miles out over the canyon and I ran over them going out, came back in and had a good time, would have caught more fish with bait in the afternoon, but didn't bring any.

Dominick

Keep at it, you'll get em next time.  Might go out for halibut on Saturday.  Out the gate will be like a zoo.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Good going Dave, :)  I,m glad you are picking up the slack , and a few fish too.   It sounds like a zoo out there? ;)   Butt you worked for them buggers.  It makes the drive back home waay better.   Send us some of your downrigger infos too.  We all like pictures.
   Now the rest of you,  get our there! :-\

David Hall

We noticed a small fray in one of my cables, decided to repair it on the water, while fixing this fray, we snagged a submerged crab pot on the other downrigger and broke the cable off losing, 12lb ball, snubber, chamberlain release, Dubro shock and my favorite magna troll flasher.  So I brought them both home, on the workbench, checking full length of the cables for kinks or frays.  Cleaning Drag plates and washer, cleaning and regressing everything and installing new cable retrievers, new shock spring, release, snubber and weights.  It never ends. But it's fun and keeps me off the streets at night.

gstours

Yes, Dave, downrigger problems, seem eternal, butt it's how you gets down to the fish.   
   Have you tried the spectra line.?   Personally I have not.  No crimping,  just wondering?

David Hall

Quote from: gstours on April 12, 2019, 04:19:11 PM
Yes, Dave, downrigger problems, seem eternal, butt it's how you gets down to the fish.   
   Have you tried the spectra line.?   Personally I have not.  No crimping,  just wondering?

I have on my old set of canons run braid, I liked it very much and if it were not for the change canon made in their new downriggers I would still be running spectra.  It doesn't fray or kink ever.  But it also doesn't not work with Canons auto stop feature and the new DRs retrieve rate is 250' minute, that 12 lb ball is screaming it's way back to the top.  Without auto stop the retrieve all comes to an end at the tip of the DR pole, that inevitably results in the total loss of everything from the first rigging to the terminal rigging and everything in between.  The only thing to be done is stand with your finger on the trigger and do not take your eyes off the ball. 
I wish I could slow the downrigger retrieval rate, canon says no way, but I gotta think there is a way?

Maxed Out

I have run spectra on my high speed Scotty's for several years of heavy use and always 15# balls. If I get on a submerged pot I can pull the pot with the spectra, and it doesn't fray or rot like cable and it splices very easy and less blowback.

Couple years ago the kings were down 350-500' and everything must be dialed in when downrigger fishing at that depth. I would never attempt to fish cable at that depth, but no problem with spectra
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!