South Bend 960--Biggest Reel of That Series

Started by festus, April 01, 2019, 11:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Hey Chester,
  I scored a 960 of my own. It was a very clean boxed reel, but under the hood it had that same grease all these Classics seem to have. I wonder if it was a better grease than other brands were using at that time? It can't be just coincidence that this grease is always soft and the others are hard and waxy.

I broke out some NOS drags from those parts Fred sent me.

Even though this gem is shelf bound, I still oiled the new felt washers.

I've mentioned this paint over spray on the spool before. After correcting it the drag pulls much smoother.

Here's another piece I added from Fred's parts. This may be the first time I've ever had a vintage reel with a brand spankin' new pipe cleaner on the spool. It fits so tight it actually adds a bit of "drag" when turning the handle. I guess I'm used to the easy turning of a well worn pipe cleaner...HA!

Well here she is folks, a prize fit for an anal retentive collector! :D Thanks to Chester for the tutorial and schematic to help me along on this reel. Also thanks to Fred for the SB parts. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

What a beauty!  The 960, not you Mo  ;)
Do you know what the capacity of that reel is?
What is the full lineup on these? I've seen 925, 930, 935, and 960.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Midway Tommy

Talk about "Spit Shine"! Nicely done, Mike. That thing looks like it just came off the assembly line.  8) That's exactly how I like to put them away.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on October 04, 2019, 06:03:46 PM

The box says 250 yds. of 20 lb. Chad. I believe those four models are the full lineup.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on October 04, 2019, 06:29:06 PM
Quote from: xjchad on October 04, 2019, 06:03:46 PM

The box says 250 yds. of 20 lb. Chad. I believe those four models are the full lineup.

Thanks Mo!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

festus

You got a good one, Mo65.  For their size, the 960 are light.  I haven't fished mine yet, but have 15 lb. Berkley Big Game line on it mounted on a 10' Wright and McGill MH rod.

BTW, there was a NIB SB Classic 325 that went unsold today on ebay. 

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !