The Daiwa RS 2600 “mark of precision”

Started by Reel Newbie, April 09, 2019, 06:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Newbie

The rs 2600, a full metal body reel of the 80's, a long by gone era when things were probably a whole lot simpler. Seeing as this reel was a stiff and jammed mess when I bought it from a yard sale for $2, I figured that it would be a good contender as a spare handle for my bg30. After a thorough cleaning, it did seem that the reel was quite smooth and the gears looked ok. The main pinion bearing, while having a plastic race, cleaned up well and spun good enough. The bail was nice and strong. The one problem with this reel is that one plastic part came out of the gear housing as a black blob, causing the reel to lock up. The anti reverse claw melted in the solvents that were in the grease. If it has only used a metal system on the pinion gear, this wouldn't happen, but this was a cheaper reel nonetheless. The question is now, how do I manage to fix it? The rest of the reel works fine except for the missing anti reverse claw.

happyhooker

I wonder if this isn't one of the Daiwas that used a molded rubber claw plate kind of in place of a spring in the AR mechanism.  Have never heard of any positive comments about this type of build.  Have heard of some DIY repairs made by using a piece of flat rubber and a piece of a headed sewing pin, but not always successful.  Ditto retrofitting a thin wire spring.  Replacement parts are sometimes tricky to run down.

Frank

nelz

Reel Newbie

Yup, part #48, that one little piece of rubber. Guess I'll just have to try to make a small spring to activate the dog.

happyhooker

I believe the Daiwa AS 1050 has a similar part, altho' may be shaped differently (not sure).  May be a handful of others.  Do you figure the grease ate it up?  If so, you would think Daiwa would have seen that coming.

Frank

Reel Newbie

The part came out looking like gum, fairly certain that they figured the reel wouldn't be used any more than a few seasons anyway.

happyhooker

That rubber part is supposed to keep a little tension on the claw when AR is on; the claw can ride over the AR teeth (tooth) when the handle is reeled, but there is enuf tension to let the claw grab for anti-reverse.

Frank