Carbaloy tiptop or Tugsten ring boat tiptop?

Started by steelfish, April 10, 2019, 12:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

what meterial would be better for braided line and more foolsproof /shockproof, considering model is the same, boat tiptop welded ring with carbaloy or tugsten ring?

I know there are other models like fuji Sic, ALPS, etc that are SS frame and Sic ring but I currently own some of those mentioned boat tips and would like to use them on rods for friends or personal rods without much bling-bling.

The Baja Guy

Swami805

I've used the carbaloy ringed tops for years, never seen one grooved. Pretty much standard for a good rod before the SIC showed up. It's a good material and won't crack like the ceramic ones. Never used tungsten so I can't say
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nelz

I believe Carboloy is actually tungsten. Many musky rods use them and those guys use braid all the time. I think they can even be used for wire line, can't get any tougher abuse than that!

I have a musky rod with a Carboloy tip that I use in salt water and it's super-tough. Just be sure to rinse in fresh water after use.

thorhammer

tungsten is tungsten carbide. either one will work on braid.

philaroman

which abuse is more likely?

• tips getting smacked on rails/rocks -- Carbaloy
  • corrosion from forgotten rinses -- tungsten carbide

Swami805

If I had to pick between the 2 kinds in the picture I'd go with the single ring carbaloy, 1 less thing to break. Both are very sturdy guides
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Thanks guys seems that carbaloy is the choice

The normal mishandling are falls of the rod, hits on rocks, bumping on the panga , etc
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Quote from: steelfish on April 10, 2019, 12:14:37 AM
what meterial would be better for braided line and more foolsproof /shockproof, considering model is the same, boat tiptop welded ring with carbaloy or tugsten ring?

I know there are other models like fuji Sic, ALPS, etc that are SS frame and Sic ring but I currently own some of those mentioned boat tips and would like to use them on rods for friends or personal rods without much bling-bling.

Carboloy most definitely!!!

Actually, I didn't have any experience tungsten tiptops but have need using Carboloy guides made by Mildrum since I was a kid surf fishing in Hawaii.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D