Cleaning 2-Part UNMIXED Epoxy

Started by sundancer, April 10, 2019, 03:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

All

Looking for your experience/thoughts.

I have a bunch of empty '2-part Epoxy' twin tubes from J-B Weld, Loctite, etc.

is there a way to clean them for reused with 2-Part Rod/Thread Epoxy for measuring?  if YES, my thought would be to clean and then load the syringes with the 2 Parts, and dispense as needed.

I hope you get the picture.
Steve
Miles to go.....,

Swami805

If I understand you want to use the empty syringes with rod finish?  There might be a way but I don't think it's worth the risk with syringes being so cheap. All your thread work down the drain if the finish doesn't set up right
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

xylene, mek, hexane or the like might do it...but agree with Sheridan, and besides that these chemicals are rather nasty. not even sure you can get this in California under prop 65.

Rivverrat

There is absolutely no way I would reuse these. New ones as stated are cheap to buy.

I have learned the hard way. When building rods being cheap or trying to save money on consumables only leads to aggravation & poor quality work.

This isnt so much being blunt as it is just being honest... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on April 10, 2019, 04:04:34 PM
If I understand you want to use the empty syringes with rod finish?  There might be a way but I don't think it's worth the risk with syringes being so cheap. All your thread work down the drain if the finish doesn't set up right

hear the words from a professional.

agree with Sheridad, some syringes might have a ingredient on the plastic that will act against the rod epoxy and contaminate it but you will never knew that in advance until the epoxy have 6hrs on the drier and dont setup or when after one week the epoxy is still soft, thats why you should never use normal syringes from the drugstore, only use syringes specially made for rod wraping epoxy, they are cheap and you can use the same syringes for years, its not a place where you want to save some coins.

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

to clarify, we all assumed you are wanting to mete out rod building finish epoxy from bulk containers. if this is the case, all the above are valid. if you are looking to re-use the dual commercial syringes for epoxy to glue real seats or anything else you might glue, I'd just reload them as-is and go. I don't think the resins differ enough between brands that what little residue remains will affect anything. My o.o2.

i fully understand your query: it's much easier to squirt from a dual syringe and it's proportioned regardless of volume, vs. having to measure specific qty's from two syringes.

John

thorhammer

nemmind, you did say for rod finish.

sundancer

guess i sent a couple down the wrong rabbit hole

i would like to use the 'self-metering' of the dual syringes to measure out thread wrap epoxy for the Guides. 

let me explain the foolish way i am doing it now....

i have a bunch of non-graduated syringes that are too large to fit into the Epoxy bottle so i trim the tapered end off of 2, evenly, balance the syringes on their end and fill them up with the amount that i need.  I then squirt them out into a mixing cup.  I then mark one as Part A, and store them open side up. 

this is a bit of a circus as i am waiting for one of them (it will be the thinner of the 2) to fall over and get everything sticky...

So....

I was cleaning up a bit and came across various styles of used empty dual syringes from the hardware store 2 part epoxy and wondered.... 

if i can clean them out, I can fill the individual cylinders with the Part A and B, and then measure the amount needed from there..

Thoughts??
Steve
Miles to go.....,

steelfish

Quote from: sundancer on April 10, 2019, 06:41:13 PM

i have a bunch of non-graduated syringes that are too large to fit into the Epoxy bottle so i trim the tapered end off of 2,

well, you might not want this answer but those non-graduated syringes are the worst when used for the mix of thread epoxy, its really important to mix the most accurate portion of A & B part, even on graduated syringes, if you mix a small batch and the resin portion is above the 2ml mark on the syringe and the hardener portion on the other syringe is below the 2ml mark you can make the mix to dont set as it should, you need to check that both syringes have epoxy reading on the same mark on the 2ml mark (as example), yep, its that delicate in order to get a nice finish.

so, my best advice is to save those syringes for another use and get 2 o 3 sets of flexcoat syringes  http://www.flyrodcrafters.com/flex-coat-epoxy-syringes/
, find 2 plastic container of 4oz or 6oz with a good twist cap, drill a hole on the cap just enough to fit the tip of the "Flexcoat" syringe and insert the tip on the cap hole and leave the syringe there for good.
next time you need to mix a batch of epoxy with the syringe inserted on the cap fill the syringe on the desired mark trying to not get much bubbles, so do it slowly and repeat with the part B.
when you finish your batch just leave the syringe inserted on the cap, the content part A or B will never dry by itself, make sure you never mix syringes of part B with part A or you will activate the epoxy on the plastic bottle and it will dry.
The Baja Guy

Swami805

My vet gave me a big handful of graduated syringes for nothing, they don't cost much. Voodoo rods sells these little caps that squeeze into the top of the epoxy bottles so they won't spill. Put the tip of the syringe in, turn the bottle upside down and draw out what you need. No bubbles in the syringe,no drips really clean way to deal with it. Right up there with sliced bread. You can order a kit from them with all the stuff you need for a couple bucks more than just buying the epoxy. Great people to deal with too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Love it.  Lot's of experience on this site.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

day0ne

Quote from: Swami805 on April 11, 2019, 01:59:09 AM
My vet gave me a big handful of graduated syringes for nothing, they don't cost much. Voodoo rods sells these little caps that squeeze into the top of the epoxy bottles so they won't spill. Put the tip of the syringe in, turn the bottle upside down and draw out what you need. No bubbles in the syringe,no drips really clean way to deal with it. Right up there with sliced bread. You can order a kit from them with all the stuff you need for a couple bucks more than just buying the epoxy. Great people to deal with too.

You need to watch that. A lot of medical syringes have silicon plungers and that can cause fisheye and other problems. Rod building syringes don't have silicon in them.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

sundancer

Quote from: Dominick on April 11, 2019, 02:24:31 AM
Love it.  Lot's of experience on this site.  Dominick

x2 Dom

I love the idea of a syringe in the cap..  or the thing from Voodoo:  https://voodoorods.com/products/syringe-insert-kit

both solve the issue completely..

Gents - I owe you all a Beer - Thank you
Steve
Miles to go.....,

sundancer

FYI

Just ordered the Voodoo item.. 

Thanks
Miles to go.....,

jurelometer

Quote from: day0ne on April 11, 2019, 05:29:05 AM
Quote from: Swami805 on April 11, 2019, 01:59:09 AM

You need to watch that. A lot of medical syringes have silicon plungers and that can cause fisheye and other problems. Rod building syringes don't have silicon in them.

I think the advice to not use  medical syringes is good,  but I think the problem is probably caused by the silicone oil lubricants commonly used in medical syringes.  My experience with  cured silicone being  compatible  with epoxy resins meant that  I almost  disregarded this advice before doing some web sluething.  Sometimes you can outsmart yourself  :)

-J