United Composites 7'6" Predator

Started by Rivverrat, April 13, 2019, 01:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Who here fishes a United Composites 7"6" Predator ?     What do you use it for ?  What reel do use with it ?  What weight line ?  ... Jeff

MarkT

I just got one at the Fred Hall Show in March. I'm putting my HX Raptor on it with a 60# topshot.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

r8rs4lf

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 13, 2019, 01:23:38 AM
  Who here fishes a United Composites 7"6" Predator ?     What do you use it for ?  What reel do use with it ?  What weight line ?  ... Jeff

Talica 12ii spooled with 80# Spectra

A very light 60# set up.

Rivverrat

Mark, this is a very different blank for me compared to my other UC rods I've built. It bends like the CE rods. It's extremely lite. This is going to be a rod I'm building for myself. Believe it or not I think I'm going to use a little Torque 12 with a small 80 braid & short 60 leader. I think this might be my little mighty mouse combo for my on going river monster endeavors. Man I really love Randy's rods... Jeff  

Rivverrat

Quote from: r8rs4lf on April 13, 2019, 02:21:57 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on April 13, 2019, 01:23:38 AM

Talica 12ii spooled with 80# Spectra

A very light 60# set up.

Yup, thats my impression of it exactly. A light 60 blank / rod... Jeff

MarkT

A Talica 12 loaded with 80# spectra and a 60# leader will definitely be a lite 60# rig. My JX Raptor and Saltiga 40ld2 both same size as a Talica 12II both have 400yds of 65# spectra with 50# topshots. The Predator 76 is a solid 60# rod. My HX Raptor has 500 yds of 80# spectra with a 60# topshot. It has a fresh topshot since the old one was broken off on a sea lion who really wanted my YT I yoyo'd up ona Salas 6x.  I think I was above 40# of drag before he broke off. He probably remembers that day!  That day I was using a Phenix phd700x2h. It'll be the home for my Mak 15T when it arrives... J&H says their shipment still hasn't arrrived.

Rivverrat

Quote from: MarkT on April 13, 2019, 02:49:19 AM
...The Predator 76 is a solid 60# rod....  

Mark, coming from you this makes me feel even more confident in this blank for what I want to use it for. Like I said it's a very different animal compared to my other UC rods or any that I've built for others. My impressions have only been gained by pressing the tip of the blank into the carpet & bending it.  

I cant believe you all dont shoot those sea lions. Seem to be the definition of a pest & nuisance... Jeff

mrwilson99

I just got the same rod 7'6" and I will be using a Fathom 40N 2-Speed on it.
David

r8rs4lf

Quote from: MarkT on April 13, 2019, 02:49:19 AM
A Talica 12 loaded with 80# spectra and a 60# leader will definitely be a lite 60# rig. My JX Raptor and Saltiga 40ld2 both same size as a Talica 12II both have 400yds of 65# spectra with 50# topshots. The Predator 76 is a solid 60# rod. My HX Raptor has 500 yds of 80# spectra with a 60# topshot. It has a fresh topshot since the old one was broken off on a sea lion who really wanted my YT I yoyo'd up ona Salas 6x.  I think I was above 40# of drag before he broke off. He probably remembers that day!  That day I was using a Phenix phd700x2h. It'll be the home for my Mak 15T when it arrives... J&H says their shipment still hasn't arrrived.

I believe I got close to all of a 500 yard spool of 80# MC on my 12ii so capacity is not an issue. The rod and reel together is very balanced.

What is your plan for the 15T?

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 13, 2019, 02:27:52 AM
Believe it or not I think I'm going to use a little Torque 12 with a small 80 braid & short 60 leader. I think this might be my little mighty mouse combo for my on going river monster endeavors. Man I really love Randy's rods... Jeff  

I love the idea of fishing with a Torque 12! You don't think fishing it with a 60# leader may be pushing it to it's limits with the advertised max drag of 25#'s? When I got my 12, I buttoned down the drag and I think I only got 23#'s according to a 50# scale.

Also, just throwing it out there, one of UC's newest offerings is the US80 Terminator rated 30-60 which as it's explained, has a Monster tip with a Predator bottom end. Fishing 60 is on the upper end of it's rating, but doesn't seem out of reality when it comes to Randy's rods.

MarkT

Ahhh... Maxcuatro!  I've found that I can put more 80# MC on than I can 65# PP.

I'm going to use the Mac 15T for live bait and dropper loop. Thatlll free up the Predator 76/HX Raptor for yoyo and bombs

Rivverrat

r8rs4lf, regarding the little Torque 12. When I first came here I had been on a life long search for the best reels for my river fishing. One of the things I wanted was a small reel with high drag out put that would last. Some time back I found a new Torque 12 at a bargain price. It proved to be to me at least, to be the small reel I had dreamed of.

When looking at this reel remember it has the same gears, same drag washers as all the bigger models in this series. The only difference is the Torque 12's smaller frame & narrower spool. This makes for a stronger over all reel. Simply because there is measurably less leverage / force placed on this reel & it's associated parts when it's buttoned down.

A taller spool, in essence is the same as placing a pipe or what not on a wrench for more leverage, when it comes to force placed on frame & the internals of a reel.

The Torque 12 will fish 20 lbs. of drag for a long time no problem. (Charkbait was able to get 200 yards of 60 Toro Tamer on my 12's. Should easily get 200 yards of MC 80)    All high wear areas are readily servicable with replacement parts when needed. With it's castability, ability to change gear ratio & very durable nature.....

just my opinion, nothing more, the Penn Torque is the best star drag reel made. Maybe ever. The little 12 has become my all time favorite little reel. Will there ever be a better star drag made ? Yes of course.
But it doesnt exist today... Jeff  

Rivverrat

As stated before I am a huge fan of Randy's rods & blanks from United Composites. Limited to only one rod I would not be with out a 8' Tilefish. this rod fishes more line classes better than any rod I've used. I say this not having fished some other brands that get great reviews. Im sure the Terminator is a fantastic rod. I have a friend whos opinion I greatly respect he claims this rod makes for a great rod for 40. I'm sure it will of course fish heavier.

The Tilefish for me is an able multi species rod when paired with a free wheeling casting reel. I've fished my Tilefish at levels that I'm sure Randy wouldnt appreciate me repeating here. I will just say this rod is far more capable than most make use of. Is it perfect at all line classes I fish it ? No way. but it does so better than others I've used. Its at its very best with 50. This 7'6" Predator could be a better all around rod for my use I dont know yet... Jeff

r8rs4lf

I agree that the Torque 12 is a beast of a reel. I'm late to that game, but I did happen to score 2 of them during the off season, all in black no less. I plan to fish them hard this year as my go to live bait YT reel.

alantani

I do not own a predator, but have looked at them. Personally, I would fish them with a 50 pound reel set up at 15 pounds at strike and 25 pounds at full. Very nice rod.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

That's how I fish my Tilefish with a JX Raptor. My other 50# rig is a Phenix phd760xh with a Saltiga 40ld2. At Cedros last year I used the JX Raptor on a Seeker G6470H. I recall Pete using a Predator 76.