Cleaning Carbontex

Started by Pierce, April 16, 2019, 05:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pierce

Hi,

I read many topic about what to apply onto a Carbontex, but what should I use to clean/degrease them before applying NEW grease?  Can I use dish washing liquid gently brush away the old grease with a toothbrush?

alantani

for carbon fiber in general, i rarely clean them.  i will usually just slather on some cal's grease and call it done.  if it's oily, i'll rub off the oil with an old rag, then regrease.  if they are crusty, sometimes i'll "raise the grain" with a dull blade from an old pocket knife, then grease them.  carbon fiber really is great stuff.  and it's amazing what you will get with cal's grease. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

I clean the cf with simple green and circular motions with a stiff bristled brush until no more dark colored residue comes out, then rub the material with a soft cloth until the fiber is restored, then spray with brake cleaner, dry, then rub cals in in semicircular motions w/firm pressure, then wipe clean until it looks almost dry.  

I've noticed drags that were greased heavily with marine grease seem to be the dirtiest, once greased with cals they rarely need this deep cleaning, just wipe with a clean cloth, maybe spray with brake cleaner, dry, reapply, wipe.

I do like to clean the metal drag plate with brake cleaner, and basically seal the drag chamber so it is relatively lint/dirt/dust free.  I like it clean in there, because all of the scored rotors and bad/torn up drags I have seen had debris of some kind in the chamber.

Not sure how I developed my system.  It's probably overkill.

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Pierce

Mine seem got a layer of dirty/hard grease on them (not sure what the factory apply on them).  May be need a deep clean before apply Cal's Grease?

Pierce

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 16, 2019, 06:59:24 AM
I clean the cf with simple green and circular motions with a stiff bristled brush until no more dark colored residue comes out, then rub the material with a soft cloth until the fiber is restored, then spray with brake cleaner, dry, then rub cals in in semicircular motions w/firm pressure, then wipe clean until it looks almost dry.  

I've noticed drags that were greased heavily with marine grease seem to be the dirtiest, once greased with cals they rarely need this deep cleaning, just wipe with a clean cloth, maybe spray with brake cleaner, dry, reapply, wipe.

I do like to clean the metal drag plate with brake cleaner, and basically seal the drag chamber so it is relatively lint/dirt/dust free.  I like it clean in there, because all of the scored rotors and bad/torn up drags I have seen had debris of some kind in the chamber.

Not sure how I developed my system.  It's probably overkill.

John

Will try to use brake cleaner and brush the dirt/harden particle off first, thanks.

oc1

I put them in the sonic cleaner with naphtha solvent along with all the other greasy parts.  Then dry and add new grease.  I'm not sure if removing the old grease so new grease can be applied makes sense for the metal parts, but it makes a noticeable difference in drag washers.  In small baitcasters the drag will be smooth again.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

I clean with a solvent (acetone, lighter fuel, carb cleaner etc.) Rub with a course cloth to raise the grain then apply a teflon based grease. The cf lasts just about forever if treated like this :)

handi2

Just rub the dirty washers on a towel. The old grease and some black carbon will come right off. Ready to use again.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

The only time I have had issues with CF's — is when they were used dry, then glazed over.

At that point, I generally just install new ones, greased with Cal's — and never look back.  Never an issue after that.

While I normally have somewhere around 1,000 CF's in stock at any one time — there are always occasions when I may be short on 500 or 209 sizes, 4/0's or 6/0's.

Then I just grab a few used CF"s that have had the grease wiped off with a paper towel years before — regrease, and reinstall.  If they are glazed from being used dry — just rough them up to raise the grain with a dull knife — grease with Cal's — and never give it another thought.  They will be perfect.

I do not clean them with any cleaning agents.  Just wipe them off and toss them in a jar — for a later time.

As to other drag materials from earlier days that are well used — I just toss them in the garbage.

I replace CF's in likely half of the reels I work on — because it gives the owner more confidence — but if they were greased originally — it is rarely necessary.

But it is a cheap and effective service to replace when doing a complete tear down and service.

Never a comeback from a jerky stack — and satisfied anglers.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Pierce

Thanks all for all the feedback, will try to clean mine with brake cleaner and leave dry under the sun then re-apply Cal's grease.

Wolli

@ Pierce
drying is faster with an old hair dryer :)

after a test i clean all cf washers in sonic cleaner with best results.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Donnyboat

Nice pics Wolli, thank you, if anyone uses break cleaner, be careful not to breath it, use in open area, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

bhale1

wow...i cant believe those are the same washers....gotta get me an US machine...i use elbow grease and old toothbrushes....
Brett

chockpish

:oWow! Wolli! What do you use as a solution? Simple green? Dawn dish soap? That looks great!  :o :o :o In your Ultrasonic cleaner that is!
Tight lines, be safe, fish hsard!

Wolli

@Brett, i`m tooooo old to use my elbows ;D

The stuff is a cold cleaner. Product No. 1025
https://kluthe.com/en/products/industrial-cleaners/solvent-based-cleaners/

Manufacturer is the German Company

Chemische Werke Kluthe GmbH
D-69008 Heidelberg

Rgds
Wolli

just noticed they have a branch office in USA

Kluthe North America Inc.
47087 Five Mile Road MI 48170 Plymouth
Phone: +1 248 7172711
E-Mail: usa@kluthe.com

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)