DIY Kayak Downrigger

Started by kmstorm64, April 16, 2019, 10:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

Hi Folks,  just curious, as downriggers are becoming more commonplace on for some species on kayaks.  Has anyone ever made their own down rigger with an old reel and or rod section?  I would be curious what problems you may have encountered, pro's and con's.   Thanks
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

kmstorm64

Some of the various DIY  internet set ups I have across so far.

kmstorm64

Some more DIY

Gobi King

I have a little boat and I want avoid bulky downriggers,

How about just adding inline weights and other gizmos to get the lure down to the depth you need.

I saw on Gary's (zee butt man) pics he uses a Luhr 6, I bought a few of those and dipseys, torpedos.

Anyone have any experience with inline keel weights?

Think of the dynamics when you have a fish on, you will have to stop to retract the rigger line to avoid tangles, but do you reel first?

This is another scenario us fishermen should have had 4 hands like the Hindu goddess Lakshmi!

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

exp2000

DIY Alvey Downrigger froom Grant Ashwell - the master.

gstours

Donnyboat

Sure does, cheers Don. thanks.
Don, or donnyboat

whalebreath

Quote from: Gobi King on April 18, 2019, 02:53:08 PMAnyone have any experience with inline keel weights?
Lots and lots especially cut bait trolling you can use fixed or sliding weights both are fine although I prefer sliding as shown.

Mooching weight-can be turned into a slider

Sliding weight still used here in BC-an old design

Quote from: Gobi King on April 18, 2019, 02:53:08 PMwhen you have a fish on, you will have to stop to retract the rigger line to avoid tangles, but do you reel first?
Leave the downrigger alone unless you're in rough conditions or lumpy water with a hot fish right at boatside.

kmstorm64

Quote from: whalebreath on April 22, 2019, 04:41:49 AM
Quote from: Gobi King on April 18, 2019, 02:53:08 PMAnyone have any experience with inline keel weights?
Lots and lots especially cut bait trolling you can use fixed or sliding weights both are fine although I prefer sliding as shown.

Mooching weight-can be turned into a slider

Sliding weight still used here in BC-an old design

What weight do you start with say to get you down around 100 Feet?

Quote from: Gobi King on April 18, 2019, 02:53:08 PMwhen you have a fish on, you will have to stop to retract the rigger line to avoid tangles, but do you reel first?
Leave the downrigger alone unless you're in rough conditions or lumpy water with a hot fish right at boatside.

Gobi King

100 ft? yikes, I am in a yak it is yikes
what speed will you be trolling at?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

whalebreath

Realistically with those weights you're not getting down much more than 40' or so by trolling at least that's what I usually aim for.

I have heard of people using a couple hundred 'pulls' to get a cut plug Herring down deep but given tides & currents I question just how deep it really is-I certainly would be careful about putting out too much line in a paddlecraft/have a sharp knife at hand.

kmstorm64

Quote from: exp2000 on April 19, 2019, 05:01:29 AM
DIY Alvey Downrigger froom Grant Ashwell - the master.

Looks like a peddle craft he is using, not a paddle craft, the down rigger location has to be in a position that is out of the way of the paddle stroke.  While the device does look useful, more so than some of the ones on the market.