DIY Carbon Fiber Drag Washers

Started by cubeye, April 19, 2019, 12:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubeye

I've posted this on BD with little response and am thinking this site would be a better place to ask.
For those that have made drag washers from sheet carbon fiber material, what did you use to cut the material?
Hole saw?
Hole punch for leather?
Knock out punch for metal?
Knife?
Dremel tool?
Drill bit?
Router?
Hacksaw?
Coping saw?
Does the material fray much when the material is cut?

I would like to cut the material for an old Shimano TTS50W reel.  The washer is about 3" O.D. and 1" I.D.

Tiddlerbasher

For anything under 1.5" I use wadcutter punches mounted in an arbor press (saves all that banging ;))
For larger sizes I cut with scissors to get the approx. size. Punch a small hole in the middle and mount onto a battery drill with a nut and bolt. Then sand the disc to the final size. Then punch the centre hole to the correct size.

gstours

If you're only cutting one, and it's quite large, you can place the cf sheet between 2 pieces of scrap 1/2 inch or so plywood that is clamped or screwed down to a work surface and use a flat spade, paddle wood drill bit and plunge slowly down through the sandwich.
   Then use a calipers or dividers to mark the outside diameter and a good aviation type tin snips will cut the cf quite nicely.  Use a file and finish the outside to your liking.
  Another way is to use a holesaw and cut the outside dia first and then clamp it and sue the spade bit to cut the center.    It's worked for me.   Just go slow.  Use a drill press if possible.   The go fishing 🎣.

cubeye

Thank you.  I've seen this method used to make gaskets.

cubeye

Tiddlerbasher
I have punches for leather.  They look the same except you have larger ones.  I'll have to get a set.  Thanks for the reply.

Keta

When I had access to their tooling I "used" a industrial laser cutter to cut a bunch of Delrin and CF washers but for most of us that's not a option.  The laser did a real nice job.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oldmanjoe

I use pipe nipples - couplings -copper tube fittings 
alantani.com/index.php?topic=24932.0
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

I've been drilling an under-sized hole then reaming it out by hand to the final size.  Once the inside is done, cut the outside with scissors made for Kevlar fabric.  They leave a nice sharp edge.
-steve

Keta

I forgot to mention try to avoid breathing the dust created.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Keta on April 20, 2019, 03:54:18 PM
I forgot to mention try to avoid breathing the dust created.

X2 - it is seriously nasty stuff

cubeye

Update:
I purchased the CF material off of ebay, from Europe.  It has a tight weave with an inner core of what may be fiberglass.  Very stiff and hard.  1.2mm.  Very close to the original canvas washer.

I purchased a set of hole punches, sharpened them and tried to punch out the center hole, which is 7/8".  No go.  The material is too hard.  I was afraid if I used too much force, I would break off some of the fiberglass core, so I used a metal cutting hole saw.  Bingo.....perfect 7/8" hole for the center. 

Now for the four channels that extend outwards from the center hole.  1/4".  I again tried the hole punches and, again, no go.  So I used my 1/4" Forstner bit.  Another bingo....perfect 1/4" hole

Now for the OD.  I didn't have a hole saw large enough to cut it, so is used my Dremel tool to carefully cut the material while using the original drag washer as a template.  I also used my bench grinder and final hand sanding to get a perfect match.

Now for the test.  I install the new CF washer and test to drag.  Poor results.  I used many different configurations of the Belleville washers.  Got them from a previous post here on this site.  The most I could get was 16# of drag at strike with about 30 at full.  Very steep ramp after the Strike position.

I finally gave up, and went back to the stock canvas washer with Cal's grease.  I was able to be 20# at strike and 36# at full. 

Maybe the CF washer needed to have a 'break in' period?  Anyways, for now I'll stick with the canvas washer. 

Thanks everyone for your input, and thanks all for the input from previous posts on the subject.  Very helpful.

RowdyW

It's quite possibe that the problem is with the CF material. I purchased my sheets from SMOOTHDRAG.      Rudy

cubeye

Yes,  I think you are right.  I'll have to try another source. 

Tiddlerbasher

Your punches have to be VERY sharp - try them on some leather or thin plastic - if they don't it cut they won't work on cf or delrin.