Yukon 46" workbench

Started by Alto Mare, April 19, 2019, 05:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I was in need of an additional workbench, I was going to make one, but from the price and quality, I decided to go with this one

I was impressed on how well built it is and also on how well it was packed.
It is quite heavy, so if anyone is looking for one of the same, you will definitely need a truck.
Also, make sure to bring someone with you and don't do as I did ::).
The workbench is 46" wide x 18" deep with lots of storage space. The top is hardwood, also a nice touch.

The top drawer comes fully out and has a capacity of 200lbs., the complete unit has 1200lb capacity.

Casters are of a good quality , very easy to maneuver.

I have seen these on line over $400.00, Harbor Freight usually sells them for $259.
You could get one today, tomorrow, or Sunday for $219 with a super coupon.

So, if anyone is searching for one, I recommend this workbench... you get a lot for the money.

By the way, I have nothing to do with Harbor Freight, I usually don't like their products, but some of the stuff they sell is worth it for me to pay a visit every once in a while.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

That is an excellent choice, Sal!

Just an idea —

If you measured the (6) inside shelves — and went to a place like Dollar General, etc.. — you could get plastic tubs that would just slide right in.

I find these really handy when doing a project — just pull out the tub you need, set it on the bench, get what you need — when your project is done — just put everything back away.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

great bench.  that would make a nice spooling station.  looks like a trip to harbor freight is in the near future for me.

Alto Mare

Great idea Fred, that would make it much easier.

It really is a nice piece.

Thank you Fred!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Fantastic Sal! It looks like something I could really use around here. Love the layout...very usable. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

Sal: If the lathe you purchased will fit, then you have a great cabinet for that all your tool will be right on hand and you can bolt the lathe down to the top for a more solid lathe.

Just a suggestion....................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Thanks guys! Joe, that is the reason I got it.
I took it in the basement on my own, by sliding it on a piece of cardboard.
The  425 lb lathe is now ready to go, but will wait until Monday for my helper.
It is safely in my back room, so there is no hurry.

Sal

Reel 224

I have to see your setup when you get-er-done  ;D I have a couple of stickers for you...................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Ok, I decided to mount the lathe and it really gave me a hard time. there was no place to attach a harness, so me and my helper had to lift it by hand. It is a perfect fit.

Even though the cabinet is strong, it will still need wood blocking, I don't like the way it is moving at the moment.
After cleaning everything and adding good quality grease and oil, I decided to take it for a quick spin.

The very first machining was done to fix Precision Matthew's mistake, the head on the screws that hold the back plate on the chuck were too tall, this was keeping  the chuck from sitting flush.

before

and after

much better now

I think this lathe will do me just fine, I can already tell.
I'm new to these, so I was a little disappointed when I realized the cross power feed doesn't work at the same time with the  longitudinal power feed. T
This won't be a problem though, with a little practice I should be able to make some nice tapers in the future.

Sal

oc1

Nice bench Sal, but we have all been anxious to see that lathe when it arrived.  That's a serious piece of machinery.  The sky's the limit now.

I knew you were a rugged guy, but if you and a helper hoisted 425 pounds........

-steve

54bullseye

Beautiful lathe Sal !!! I am sure we will be seeing some nice stuff posted by you in the near future !!! Show us your stuff.   John Taylor

Darin Crofton

How exciting, Sal, love your new setup man!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

joel8080

Sal AS Keets said " A thing of Beauty is a joy forever". Enjoy your new toy.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

RowdyW

Sal, you can cut short tapers with the compound slide set to whatever angle you need.     Rudy

Donnyboat

Gee Sal, every mans dream, thanks for the pics, enjoy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat