Odd handle/reel foot on Daiwa ultralights

Started by festus, April 20, 2019, 11:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I've seen this type reel foot on ebay Daiwas, what's the purpose?

Reel 224

When you cross an Elephant with a Rino= Elep-fin-no.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

philaroman

can only be used w/ specific Daiwa rods...  short-lived, ill-conceived gimmick

festus

Quote from: philaroman on April 21, 2019, 01:01:38 AM
can only be used w/ specific Daiwa rods...  short-lived, ill-conceived gimmick
I see why, never seen anything like it.

foakes

Those handles are pretty neat — spring loaded so they can be reversed when transporting.

As for the weird attachment — Roman is correct — special rod needed for these.

Problem was — the reels were much more durable than the rods were.

Many of these came in "travel kits" with 5-6 piece rods.

I just grind off the weird part on the foot — then work them with jewelers tools to finish them up — and use them just like any other spinner.

One thing about these small Daiwas from the late 70's (excellent reels, BTW) —

The silver models have (3) bushings — the gold models are identical — but have (3) bearings.  You can switch out the bushings for bearings — they are an exact drop-in.

These are valuable reels that are becoming more and more valuable every day.

Many times, you can buy one of these for a bargain — since no one realizes that they can be used conventionally with a little imagination.  And they don't have a rod to fit it...

I have one of each in my personal Microlite arsenal + 500C, 700C, 1000C, 70X, etc.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

I like the looks of those 500C.  Just haven't found one priced right yet.  From what I've seen online, those old metal Daiwas don't have the best paint job.  See lots of scuffed ones going cheap. No doubt they're good reels, however.

philaroman

Quote from: foakes on April 21, 2019, 01:22:08 AM
I just grind off the weird part on the foot — then work them with jewelers tools to finish them up — and use them just like any other spinner

that's just BRILLIANT!!!  ...can't believe I never even considered the option

Quote from: festus on April 21, 2019, 02:00:43 AM
I like the looks of those 500C.  Just haven't found one priced right yet.  From what I've seen online, those old metal Daiwas don't have the best paint job.  See lots of scuffed ones going cheap. No doubt they're good reels, however.

both quality & fad to it -- people are so fixated on 500c/700c,
that you can get same platform / higher model Gold Series for same $, or less
consider Mini Mite, GS-0 (GS-00?), etc. -- same reel w/ anodizing, bearings, better handle
https://www.ebay.com/sch/1492/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=daiwa+%28MiniMite%2CMini+Mite%2CGS0%2CGS00%2CGS-0%2CGS-00%29&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

also, the big S/W oldies (GS-9, 9000c, etc.) in good condition can get as pricey, as UL
...the middle sizes can be found dirt-cheap