Handle Knobs

Started by Midway Tommy, April 23, 2019, 07:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Why is it that nearly every white Penn handle knob I see has one or more stress cracks?  ??? Too soft of plastic? It always prevents me from purchasing the darn reel.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

basto

That reminds me of the white rubber tips I used to get to put on the bottom of chairs. The black ones last a lot longer.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Tiddlerbasher

Tommy - it could be that the white plastic is harder? Hard plastics are maybe more prone to splitting :-\

foakes

That knob looks like one for a 716 or 714 reel, from this angle, Tommy —

The reel you are showing us is a 722 old metallic green high speed.

And someone may have installed a knob from a smaller reel (714-16), I believe — which is not correct.

However, it could just be the angle I am looking at it from.

And, of the knobs I have — I think that is a mold mark that is going diagonally across the knob — they are all like that.  It may not be cracked.

If you decide to go ahead and get the 722 — I can send you this new correct knob and aluminum grip screw right away.

N/C.

You should get the reel cheap because of the knob...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Here are a few new ones, Tommy —

Those diagonal mold marks get dirt built up on them — and sometimes look like a crack in a pic.

Even the seller will think it is cracked — until it is cleaned up.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Hey fellas...looking at Fred's pics and seeing the mold lines in the new knobs...I'm thinking Tommy's "crack" is just a dirty mold line! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Yep! That's what it looks like to me also.  It makes sense to mold those handles diagonally for strength.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Midway Tommy

Well, there you go!  :o I love learning something new. I've got 8 Penn spinners and none of them have the flat white knobs. Two have blacks and the other 6 have white torpedos. Never looked that close at the one black flat knob.  ::) Thanks, Fred! I sure have passed up a lot of decent lighter Penns because of that crack looking line. Beware now, though!  :D 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jurelometer

OTOH, the 720/722  drag knobs crack pretty frequently at the point where the brass insert is pressed in.  They are getting harder to find.