Wednesday Salmon on the Long Hall

Started by David Hall, April 25, 2019, 04:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Rob and I left my house at 0430 and headed for Moss Landing, picked up the essentials Ice, Tray bait, and rubber bands at the local bait market and were heading out the jaws by 0600.  We ran out to where I had fished yesterday and had good luck and dropped in to start trolling.  We were off the fleet, meaning we had our own little piece of heaven all to ourselves.  We quickly got bit I think it was a double and neither of them stuck.  We re baited and dropped in this time Rob got hit and landed a nice 10lber to end his long dry spell without catching a king.  I lost another one, then I lost another one, then Rob caught another one and just like that, he had a limit and was now fishing for mine.  Things kinda slowed down, we went an hour without a bite so I decided to switch from bait to a hootchie,  two minutes later whamo jammo I get one on the deck, nice net job Rob!  Now we're looking for the devil fish and he didn't make life easy, I think it was almost an hour before she hit my hootchie, mamma and there it was around 10:30 and days fishing is done.  Cleaned up ran back in, washed the boat and stowed the gear and made it to work at 1:00 right on time.  It was a fun day, Rob was great to fish with, we got along as though we had been fishing together for years.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Nice David.  I may be down there on Saturday.  I got invited to go out with a buddy of mine who has a friend who fishes out of Moss Landing (no other info).  Where do I look for you to say hello if you are there?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

how much for 4# of fillets shipped to 92231?

ooh I see, this is not a selling thread.. hmm well, nice fishing bud.

The Baja Guy

JoseCuervo

Dave, thank you once again for a wonderful day on the bay. You hit it on the head, that was a slice of heaven! Beautiful water, a wonderful spring day, finding the fish, and great company!

It had been three years since I boated a salmon, and as such the butterflies came by to bug my stomach, both when I had my first fish on, and when I had the net job on yours. I didn't want to screw up, and without practice in awhile I was glad I didn't. Fishing for salmon is no job for one man alone. I haven't been at the helm in quite some time either, thanks for your trust in that as well. I need to brush up on my headings a bit, when you are out on that huge bay you see land nearly all around you, from Santa Cruz to Carmel. It is almost like you are on a huge lake!

Similar to Gary's red cooler, my lucky gear for salmon from here on out is an Ugly Stik Tiger, one of my wonderful Jiggy's with Cortez plates and a Tib frame, my custom Penn Reels hat, and of course, that old school Ford fender. I must thank Alan here for his great website as well, without that I'd probably be fishing a nearly seized up old 155. You had mentioned Monday evening about tossing "old, worn out" reels way back when, I was near to doing that a year ago. I really enjoyed your conversation as well about how the valley used to be with the ranches, and how now some folks have closed off access due to some unfortunate happenings.

I haven't had such an enjoyable day in quite some time. Thank you again. I hope to have you as a friend for the remainder of my years. :)

Rob

Dave, do I have the last image marked in the general area we were fishing?  BTW, that pic is from MBARI, I have the poster from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in my cube..  :o

David Hall

Dominick, I am on G dock when you drive over the bridge coming into the harbor office parking lot I'm in the fiirst row of boats.  I'm supposed to have someone with me on Saturday too?  So that's means I'll be out there on the water somewhere.

And Rob your picture is very close but here's exactly where we were,

Gfish

Ohana power babey!
I'mina guess; 1 boy and 3 girls? Didja get any roe odda them?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

Those are some really nice fish,,,,,, :D great job man,,,,,,, ;D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

David Hall

Quote from: Gfish on April 26, 2019, 02:15:42 AM
Ohana power babey!
I'mina guess; 1 boy and 3 girls? Didja get any roe odda them?

That's a good eye you got, interestingly enough the vast majority of the fish caught on my boat this year have been hens.  With only two or three bucks.  I have no idea what it means but it is interesting.  I had a friend that I fished in Mexico with that hasn't been able to go salmon fishing for two years onboard today along with his four year old son.  We were on the water leaving the harbor by 0600 and fishing by 0640.
Put two in the box straight away and then proceeded to go on a losing streak like you wouldn't believe, meaning the fish were biting like crazy but wouldn't take the hook, I shortened my leads, lengthened my leads, slowed the boat down, speeded the boat up and nothing worked, finally I swapped out my line release for the good old fashioned snap on clip releases, and wham we put a double in the box to go with three we already had.  Looked for the devil fish for another two and a half hours and only managed to hook up and lose three more fish.  All total I think we lost 15 fish trying to get six and ended the day at 2:45 with five for our efforts.  I'm calling that good since the third guy was only 4.

David Hall

The little guy is Vlad Varveshenko, first time on a boat and his little friend there the hummingbird was caught in the fog, flew off course and ended up exhausted and 8 miles over the Bay with nowhere to get a moments rest, he flew in and right up to Vlad a dozen times before he decided it was safe and next time he landed on a lads hand.  He stayed there for over an hour making no attempt to fly away, so we tucked him in a blanket in the cabin to get out of the wind and he rode back to the harbor with us then we put him in a flower bush at the harbor fishermen's  memorial park.  Hope he makes it.  Sure entertained us.  Not something we run into everyday.  You just never know what the day will bring when you are on the Bay.
Nine hours today and I just got home ate everything I could find and now I'm gonna go take care of the fish.

Dominick

Nice work David.  The water looks pretty flat so it was a good weather day for you.  Thanks for saving the bird.  I too hope he makes it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Quote from: Dominick on April 27, 2019, 04:36:24 AM
Nice work David.  The water looks pretty flat so it was a good weather day for you.  Thanks for saving the bird.  I too hope he makes it.  Dominick

The sea conditions on the Bay for the next few days is forecast for flat calm and that's what we had until about 1:45.

JoseCuervo

Now we are getting somewhere..

David Hall

show us the finished product if it doesn't disappear to fast.