Cumberland Striper Action

Started by mo65, May 03, 2019, 05:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Pop some corn, get a giant soda or a cold beer, and kick back for some fun fishin'. We had enough footage to make several vids, so this first one is all stripers. Enjoy! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm_iEIQsty0&fbclid=IwAR18hvcUkIhFhXlXiaaPs04JVHl89HKKwBitBELyLIGOLB4WaAwLjOqyZiE
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Great video Mike, I have not done much float fishing, would liked to have a close up view of them, I herd someone say the bait was fourty foot deep, but as it was brought in it looked like it was not far from the float, could anyone give me more info on this, thanks again mike, great day for fishing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

Quote from: Donnyboat on May 03, 2019, 06:57:22 PM
Great video Mike, I have not done much float fishing, would liked to have a close up view of them, I herd someone say the bait was fourty foot deep, but as it was brought in it looked like it was not far from the float, could anyone give me more info on this, thanks again mike, great day for fishing, cheers Don.

Here's a link to some conversation about the rigging.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28301.msg327565#msg327565

festus

Great video, I hope Tank includes some footage of the big smallmouth eventually.

I've never used planer boards, usually if you see that type of fishing down here it's always guide services below Watts Bar, Ft. Loudon, and Melton Hill Dam going for stripers.

Swami805

Nice video, thank you. Would like to see more of the small mouth too, those looked impressive
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: festus on May 03, 2019, 10:00:23 PM
Great video, I hope Tank includes some footage of the big smallmouth eventually.

Quote from: Swami805 on May 03, 2019, 10:18:20 PM
Would like to see more of the small mouth too, those looked impressive

We're working on a smallmouth video now. 8)

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

George6308

Nice trip.
Question I hear the clickers left on while reeling in your fish, any reason why?

mo65

Quote from: George6308 on May 03, 2019, 11:57:43 PM
Nice trip.
Question I hear the clickers left on while reeling in your fish, any reason why?

I've seen them left on in these videos a lot...and always wondered why. I still don't know why...I turned one off after a hookup and the guide told me to leave it on! :-\

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Benni3

Great time,,,,,, :D and great job,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Quote from: mo65 on May 04, 2019, 12:01:56 AM
Quote from: George6308 on May 03, 2019, 11:57:43 PM
Nice trip.

I've seen them left on in these videos a lot...and always wondered why. I still don't know why...I turned one off after a hookup and the guide told me to leave it on! :-\

I can sort of understand his point.  Unless you have the reel in your hand, sometimes it's difficult to know when/if the fish is pulling drag.... either from the other end of the boat or in a video.  If the drag is really sticky you can see the rod tip bounce but if the drag is smooth you just see the rod bent.  Important information for the captain and a nice courtesy for the video viewer.  As seen on TV. 

Those are really nice catches Mo. You guys should be proud.
-steve

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on May 04, 2019, 06:51:39 AM
I can sort of understand his point.  Unless you have the reel in your hand, sometimes it's difficult to know when/if the fish is pulling drag.... either from the other end of the boat or in a video. 

Thinking more about this, the clicker stops singing when the fisherman is cranking the handle with the drag slipping. I remember him looking over when that singing would stop...and if he thought you needed a little more bite he'd crank up the drag a hair. I think you're right Steve...it allows him to "see" how you're doing without having to actually look.