Donkey & Change

Started by Tightlines667, May 04, 2019, 06:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

A good weather report, current map, so we decided to take off work and go fishing on Bob's Cabo 35 Sea Bum. We arranged to bring group of Navy guests, iced up the boat, and thawed 2 dozen ballyhoo. Met at the dock at 0500, lines off at 0545, set 3 ballyhoo dinks (long), 2 wire-rig islanders (on planers) and 1 popers (short), with a purple moldcraft wide range on the one TI80WA on starboard short rigger.

About 2nm S of the ledge, we took a double strike on the long baits, razor gang hit the dinks instead of the wire, and chopped one hook off, shredded mono leader on the other. Found a group of RFBOs with Mahis chasing flying fish 8nm out, and after several passes, took 3 hits and missed hookups, then caught one 15lber on a popper. Headed out towards diamondhead pinnacle, and lost another Mahi on the long center. Not feeling good about our 1 for 7 hook up ratio, but left the birds resting on the water and headed for Penguin.

A few minutes later, I noticed a dark darting shadow and wake smack the moldcraft and pop it free from the short rigger. I immediately cranked the bait hard away from the fish and stoped as it settled alongside the wake. 3 seconds later a hole opened up, and nice Blue nailed the bait inside out. I didn't get a good look at the fish, but suspected it to be in that 400-500class. She smoked the reel, and we were down to less than half spool by the time we had the baits and cockpit cleared. We backed down hard on the fish for 20minutes at 6-10knots and it continued to dump line doen to 1/4 spool. Once the fish slowed we were able to recover line to half spool by 40minute mark, and at 70% back, I bumped the drag up to 25+lbs. We got the fish with 100 yards of the boat, and she made another deep run, at half spool the fish slowed and line continued to slowly spool off foot by foot, around the 1 hour mark we came to the conclusion that the fish had died, and we transitioned to full drag, and even then could only gain line a half crank at a time wicked tuna style. After an hour of this we grabbed the leader, brought the dead fish alongside, tailropped and drug her aboard through the fish door. The fish was firly hooked on each side of the tail with the tandom hooks. That explains the weird fight.

After a short celebration, we reset the spread and headed for Penguin. As we approached first knuckle, we hooked a double on the long dinks and landed 2 Mahis. Switched to all wire rigs and trolled the 40, then caught a small Wahoo on the planer, with a missed short strike on the other planer. Reset and caught another Ono on the long rigger on second pass. Worked down the bank, a found a bird pile, and picked up a nice Mahi, and missed a planer bite. Headed back accross the chanel and picked up another Mahi on the short.

Pulled the baits 6nm out, ran in, back at the dock at 545pm. 8 for 15 on the day.

Good day on the water, and much better than sitting in the office.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mo65

WOW! Great fishing John! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

foakes

Great report, John!

Thanks for bringing us along!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Yep! you had one heck of a day.  Good job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Crow

Great Fish, Great Friends....Great trip!!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

Fantastic trip,,,,, :D big marlin,,,,,,,, :o

Reel 224

Great catch!

Joe/off the hook rod & reel
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 04, 2019, 06:24:01 PM

Good day on the water, and much better than sitting in the office.

John

I hate you buddy !

naaa that seems like dream day for me looks like a normal day "at the office" to you, congrats John keep the good vibes and work
The Baja Guy

54bullseye

Great day John !!!  How is your boat coming along ?   John Taylor

swill88

Swami805

Nice fish! looks like it would eat those dorado
Do what you can with that you have where you are