Debut of my trolling Superman rod

Started by steelfish, May 07, 2019, 06:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

after a 5 month hiatus outta the water (wind, work, family, etc) I had the chance to use for the 1st time my first ever custom (build from blank and accesories) rod built by yours truly.
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27213.0

this rod might be overkill for the zone I was going to fish, which is a rock Island at 20 miles infront of the town, normally you can catch there spanish macks, corvinas and with some luck also groupers, but I was with the urge to use the new rod and feel how it work while trolling some deep diving lures and maybe how it works with a nice fish, I must say I love it, liked the action of the rod, its a Seeker composite 130lb 6ft, for being a 130# rod it has a nice flex even with smaller fish like the Sierras (spanish macks) of 6-8 lb, after some hours fishing I found out it wasnt that bad idea to use that rod cuz after catching some sierras and some 4-5# corvinas my partner caught a big grouper of an estimated of 30-35# maybe a bit more, so, chances are I could had caught that one with my rod LOL, so better be prepared for a nice fight than undergunned, anyway, the fishing was slow for most of the day, maybe 30 minutes before we called a day I caught another nice grouper, not as big as the one of my partner but almost 20# it gave a really nice fight, of course the rod could handled it with no much problems as well as the mak15, after that fish we trolled for a bit more but no much luck so we called it a day and took the panga back to land.

few pics of the fishing day and the grouper of my friend
The Baja Guy

steelfish

few more pics now of my fish and the obligatory pic of the fish with the bubba blade filleting knife
The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

Nice mess of fish ! Good job on the rod ! Nice to make something that works so good.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

RowdyW

Hi Alex, I'm glad the new rod is doing what you expected. Nice fishing grounds that you have there to supply you with quite a few delicious dinners.          Rudy

Dominick

Nice work Alex.  How deep did you have to go for grouper?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Fishy247

Awesome Alex! It always feels good when you catch fish on something you made. Not a bad idea bringing that machine gun to the knife fight, eh?

Mike

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on May 07, 2019, 06:57:31 PM
Nice work Alex.  How deep did you have to go for grouper?  Dominick

while fishing inshore or near to an Island normally 25 to 40ft with trolling deep diver lures and when fishing with bait for grouper it might get 200-400ft deep but those are the real big ones which are not my cup of tea to get them, maybe one day.

-----------------------------------------

@ thanks guys, it really feel great to use a rod I made, Im not addicted in any way to get many rods but after using that rod I want to build 2 more at least, same model but 80# and 60# line rating   ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

mo65

Oh man...how I'd love to fish there! Great report Alex...love that rod! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Fishy247

QuoteIm not addicted in any way to get many rods but after using that rod I want to build 2 more at least, same model but 80# and 60# line rating   Grin Grin

Uh huh....ya gotta keep in mind Alex, that that's pretty much the same feeling you're going to get after EVERY rod you build.... ;)

Swami805

Nice day Alex,those are perfect eating size grouper. That rod should hold up to about anything that swims down there.
What a beautiful place to call home.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Benni3

That's a very nice fish on a fabulous rod,,,,, :D I hope that's the first of many,,,,,,, ;D

Darin Crofton

Great job, Alex, dinner's for everyone!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Reel 224

Keep up the good work compadre! ;) ;D

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

@ Todd, yep amigo, it feel really nice to use something you build yourself and it works as expected or better

@ Rudy,  thanks, this fishing grounds are a hit or miss, it a rocky peack in the middle of nothing, many miles around there is not structure other than that Rocky Island, something you get fish and sometimes you get skunked

@ Mike, better to be overkill than undergunned, I actually carried a 30# spinning rod (the one with the shark tooth) and a 50# graphite musky rod (rebuilded by me) that I like to use to cast 2oz spoons and 3oz plastic lures to the big Sierras, but no Sierras this time so I kept using the trolling rod.

@Mo, you are more than welcome to come and fish here, way different to fish Bass and cats

@ Sheridan, my man!, thanks compadre, I never worried about the rod while figthing the fish, if can figh a tuna it can fight anything local even the big mama groupers, those groupers are sure good eating, and yep, this is a nice place to call it home even when Im not fishing.

@ Benni, amigo Benni, I dont understand, you hope thats the first of many?  you talking about the big fish or rod? either way Im sure it wont be the last

@ Darin, if you can make it to 7pm today at my home you can have a share of the fish, other than that is not my fault

@ Joe, thank amigo, I will try to do my best

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Great pics and report Alex! You built it, you test it and it works perfectly...can't get any better.
Good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.