Updating the grips/handles on older shimano reels for newer egg grips etc.

Started by gfox777, May 10, 2019, 12:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfox777

Esteemed anglers,

I inherited my dad's gear collection and for the last couple of years have been fishing with some shimano speed master and tld reels. Here locally, I have been trying to find a place that might be able to update the grips with more modern egg style grips made for a man's hand but no luck. Someone told me to try Alan's site and from what I can see, if I can't find some info there than I am probably out of luck. If anyone can give me some advice, I would truly appreciate it. It would be nice to have some new shimano talica or okuma reels etc. but my stuff is in perfect shape and I would just like to fish the reels until they are truly done.

Thank you,

Greg Fox

thorhammer

well, that's a lot of fishing to make those two done; you can get gears and new drags for them and if you clean it there's not much else to go wrong. Someone, prolly Alan himself, will be able to tell you whats available for a handle upgrade on those two. There are plenty of knobs you can drill out and add but the Shimano guys can prolly say whether there are better knobs from Torium's, etc. that fit those.

John

Cor

I sometimes interchange handles from different reels or even Diawa onto those older Shimano's.   Is a very common drive shaft size so you should find handles to fit or just the knob which you can replace yourself.
Cornelis