Inside the Daiwa Millionaire 5H--noting differences with similar Abus

Started by festus, May 10, 2019, 10:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Here is another reel out of the lot of a bundle of nine I got through eBay a couple of days ago.  I recall in the 1980s Daiwa had a red Millionaire I saw at Walmart, other than that, I don't think I had ever examined one in my hands.  This one is a greenish-gold, sort of reminds me of Notre Dame sporting events.  ::)

Yes, that's it in the middle surrounded by some of its clone brothers, Abus in the 5000 series.

First difference I notice in the Daiwa and the Abus is more curvature at the top of the line guide.

The handle assembly is very similar to the Abus.

This Daiwa (and some Abus) has a Phillips head screw as a retainer instead of a c-clip.

A large coiled tension spring pops its head.

I don't recall seeing this piece of brass or copper in an Abu, they call it a ball bearing retaining ring.

Examining the head plate, I see a world of difference between this reel and an Abu.  All sliding pieces are designed differently.  To remove the yoke, two unfamiliar looking c-clips need removed.  This reel was very clean inside, but dry of lube.  It almost looks like it had been serviced and someone forgot to add oil and grease.

Anti-reverse dog might just interchange with an Abu.

It uses a combination of drag washers, including a teflon. 

Someone had either lost or removed the brake blocks, but a couple pieces of tubing cut from an aerosol can of Corrosion-X HD made an ample substitute.

Yep, both the pinion gear and main gear were squeaky clean, but dry as a bone.

Can't really see it, but it all got a light coating of Superlube.

Reassembling the head plate.

Reassembling handle assembly.

Yes, the tail plate also had a coppery/brassy looking ball bearing retaining ring.

Another of Daiwa's unfamiliar to me c-clips.  One of the few differences not used in an Abu.

Other than a sharper curved line guide top, the level wind assembly is similar to the Abu.

Reassembling the line guide nut.

Lubing the spool gear.  This is made of some type of plastic or nylon in some of my Abus.

I like this reel, especially since I only have $4.75 in it.  Before it was serviced, the free spool button was pretty stiff, understandable with the lack of lubrication.  It also had a high pitched screech on casting.  There again, lack of lube. 

It now casts great with little noise.  Can't really say if I like it any better as a similar sized Abu. For now, I say they're equal.  Only thing I don't like are those oddball c-clips securing the idler cog and the yoke.  I imagine they can be replaced, nothing really to complain about.

..............good deal for $4.75 shipped.  :)

Donnyboat

Hi Festus, great find for that money, nice and clean inside, the lubing would have made it run much quieter and smooth, will you ever use it, or keep it for your collection, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

festus

Quote from: Donnyboat on May 11, 2019, 01:54:20 AM
Hi Festus, great find for that money, nice and clean inside, the lubing would have made it run much quieter and smooth, will you ever use it, or keep it for your collection, cheers Don.
I've already made a few casts at a friend's pond Don, sure, it'll get fished.  It has some boat rash, so a catfishing prospect, maybe. There is a very simple, economical 2-piece clicker that can be ordered for 3 bucks that fits some Abu 5000-6000 reels.  Wondering if it might work on a Daiwa.  :-\

mo65

Thanks for that look inside it Chester, it's a little different than my 3H. Some of the later Millionaire IIs have a clicker.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Here you go guys. Same reel, different logo & counter balance handle.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)