Zebco XRL15

Started by festus, May 11, 2019, 07:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I debated whether to post pics of this reel, if it made the B-Grade, just barely, maybe a C+.  But it has some unique engineering features I'd never seen, nothing spectacular, but different nevertheless.  

It came with the same package of nine assorted reels from eBay I mentioned in a couple other threads.  Got a couple more Zebcos in the deal also.  Everything functioned out of the mailing box, it was kinda stiff in reeling and was dirty and dusty on the exterior.

There is no way to get into the drag washer(s), it's sealed. But believe it or not, the drag works--but roughly.

Plastic spool has a weak clicker tongue, but it's functioning.

Another sliding type bail trip assembly I've seen similar in some other B-grade reels recently.

No line guide, reminds me of my first spinning reel, the Zebco 707, but this XRL is a much better reel.  

All three side plate screws are the same.

Not too dirty inside, but the main gear is dry of grease.

Anti-reverse works, just needed wiped and oiled.

Not much inner workings with this reel.

Rotor is fastened to the housing with a C type retainer plate.

A pin goes through the shortest axle I've ever seen and runs in a VERY short channel in the main housing.

All parts except for the bail trip assembly and anti-reverse were taken apart for cleaning.

Parts after a good scrubbing in Dawn dishwashing detergent.

Oiling the bail trip assembly.

Lubing the pinion gear which is built in to the rotor.

Reattaching the rotor to the main housing with retainer plate.

Lubing the main gear which surprisingly had little wear.

Main gear slides cleanly back into place.

Reattaching side plate.

View of the oddball drag assembly.  Don't really know what's under the metal washer, maybe nothing, but it can't be removed without destroying the spool.  Don't know if you can see it, but there is a polar array of ridges perpendicular to the axle hole.  These ridges gradually lengthen and shorten. Something to do with the brake, I suppose.

It cleaned up nicely.  Not a bad looking reel, but I wouldn't want to chase anything larger than panfish, bullheads, and maybe Coosa Bass, which is a cousin to the largemouth bass, but seldon grows over 10" to 11" in these Tennessee and Georgia creeks.  A skilled angler who's an expert in backreeling with the a/r disabled might land a big fish, but that's beyond my skill level.  Reel weighs 9.6 oz without line on my scales. I saw a video on a larger XRL reel which had a push button pop off spool and some more robust features.

Most likely I'll give this to my grandnephew who just turned 5 years old. There is a creek behind their house (I used to live there) about 20' wide and 5' deep full of creek chubs, shiners, redbreast sunfish, bluegill, yellow bullheads, and redhorse suckers. Might be a few puny b@$$ left.  Since I got married and moved away from the old home place it isn't stocked as well.  Here is a shot of one of three waterfalls downstream from their house a couple hundred yards away.