alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Join me on a 2.5 day trip on the Top Gun 80 San Diego August 11th-14th!
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 16, 2019, 09:00:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Join me on a 2.5 day trip on the Top Gun 80 San Diego August 11th-14th!  (Read 1757 times)
pjstevko

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 03:22:01 PM »

Man, That looks like a couple of lifetimes worth of Colt Snipers!  I got my 60# BFT last month on a 100 gm Katy Perry colored Sniper with a 2/0 Owner Stinger attached with a 10# split ring. One of the other Gus got 2 on the 80 gm size also in Katy Perry... pink/blue... the name fits!
My local Turner's fishing manager told me that they weren't selling enough Coltsnipers and that they shipped all them to other stores...... But he found a box that hadn't shipped yet so I bought all they had! I know they are hot sellers at all the tackle shops along the coast but they never have the right size or color in stock.....

I plan on upgrading a couple with in-line singles attached to #8 or #10 hyperwire split rings....

Trust me, they work with trebles.  Just put bigger/stronger ones on there for BFT.

Mark which brand, model and size treble would you recommend?
pjstevko

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 08:19:34 PM »

I spent an hour upgrading the split rings and treble hooks on these coltsnipers in preparation for my 2.5 day trip next week. Here's hoping preparation equals success!

* FB_IMG_1565061944854.jpg (80.68 KB, 720x900 - viewed 14 times.)
pjstevko

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 05:56:16 AM »

About 24 hours to go! I'm stoked  Grin Grin

Man, That looks like a couple of lifetimes worth of Colt Snipers!  I got my 60# BFT last month on a 100 gm Katy Perry colored Sniper with a 2/0 Owner Stinger attached with a 10# split ring. One of the other Gus got 2 on the 80 gm size also in Katy Perry... pink/blue... the name fits!

How were you fishing them? Were you fishing them on the slide with a far cast, sink and retrieve or was it more like a flat fall down deep?
SoCalAngler
SoCalAngler
Photo Group

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 08:21:18 AM »

There is kind of a good news bad news thing going on right now with the BFT. First the bad news is not any real nice numbers being caught. The good news is that the few that have been landed are big fish. On your 2.5 I'm sure you will load up on yellowtail which have been everywhere and still have time to give the BFT a good look or two.

Good Luck

Oh yeah there is also dorado on some of the kelp patties.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:47:14 AM by SoCalAngler » Logged
pjstevko

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 10:09:11 AM »

There is kind of a good news bad news thing going on right now with the BFT. First the bad news is not any real nice numbers being caught. The good news is that the few that have been landed are big fish. On your 2.5 I'm sure you will load up on yellowtail which have been everywhere and still have time to give the BFT a good look or two.

Good Luck

Oh yeah there is also dorado on some of the kelp patties.

Yeah i've been watching the reports....I just hope this doesn't turn into a super/cow only trip!!!!
SoCalAngler
SoCalAngler
Photo Group

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 07:48:32 PM »

Looks like the TG80 headed out to one of the outer banks, took a look around and then went west into San Clemente. They started up at the east end of the backside and made there way west. Many boats there were not doing much, except of a cow or two. Then they headed southeast towards Mexican waters. Good call by the captain. He is kind of grumpy but a hard charger. I bet the report from today is not really good until the late afternoon/evening, if they made it to where the catching is going on by night fall.

I will bet tomorrows report is way better meaning no cow BFT but many YT, sore arms and some of the 30-40 grade BFT caught also yellowfin are there now and maybe some dorado.

I bet it was a long boat ride on day one.

Can't wait for the report.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:45:04 AM by SoCalAngler » Logged
pjstevko

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 06:08:57 AM »

Looks like the TG80 headed out to one of the outer banks, took a look around and then went west into San Clemente. They started up at the east end of the backside and made there way west. Many boats there were not doing much, except of a cow or two. Then they headed southeast towards Mexican waters. Good call by the captain. He is kind of grumpy but a hard charger. I bet the report from today is not really good until the late afternoon/evening, if they made it to where the catching is going on by night fall.

I will bet tomorrows report is way better meaning no cow BFT but many YT, sore arms and some of the 30-40 grade BFT caught also yellowfin are there now and maybe some dorado.

I bet it was a long boat ride on day one.

Can't wait for the report.

No need for a report now since you nailed it with you guesstimate..... I'll post my actual report tonight....
Gobi King
Firearms Group

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 09:28:26 AM »

I spent an hour upgrading the split rings and treble hooks on these coltsnipers in preparation for my 2.5 day trip next week. Here's hoping preparation equals success!

Looking forward to your report,

Side question, what hooks are those you have on the lures?

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan
pjstevko

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 11:31:23 AM »

Looking forward to your report,

Side question, what hooks are those you have on the lures?

VMC 4x trebles and VMC in-line singles
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: