Jerky drag after installing Carbontex

Started by BigTerp, May 13, 2019, 07:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigTerp

Replaced the felt washers on both of my Pflueger President 6930 spinning reels with Carbontex. Smoothdrag.com did not have something specifically for my reels but after taking a caliper to the old washers they found something that matched up, which was nice. After lightly greasing the carbon washers with some Cal's and installing them they have been rather jerky. Not smooth at all. My drag was nice and smooth previously with oiled felt washers. I've had them in since July of last year and thought maybe they just needed a little break in time. But no luck, still jerky when engaged. My setup is on a 6'6" M/L power and fast action rod with 6# Yo-Zuri Hybrid line. I set my drag to around 2# using a digital scale. I'm thinking one of two things. I either need to check out the metal washers in my reel to see if they need polished up, or maybe my setup is too light to benefit from carbon washers and I should just go back to the felt? What are your guy's thoughts?

nelz

If oil gets on the CF drag it will get jerky. It's possible that some oil left over from the felt washers contaminated the stack. Also, any oil that's on the shaft can get on them too. You'll probably need to clean the CF disks in solvent and re-apply the Cal's once they're dry and clean. Also, the shaft should be wiped clean around where it touches the spool, and lubed with Cal's. Not the whole shaft, just in that area.

I've converted older Pflueger spinner drags to CF and it works great.

philaroman

for such light applications, I'd go w/ fresh(!!!) felt for quicker, smoother start-up
(also, more precise at low settings w/ calibrated knob, IMO)
others prefer CF for longevity, durability, easier care
ideally, I'd have 2 spools -- 1 CF upgrade + 1 w/ spare felt

BigTerp

Thanks for the responses!!

Nelz - I'll give that a try. Do you like the carbon washers in the Pfluegers greased or dry? What is the best method of cleaning the carbon drag washers? I have brake cleaner handy, but can pick up some mineral spirits or acetone if something like that would work better.

Philaroman - Yeah, I've been doing some reading and for lighter applications felt does seem to be sufficient or even preferred. I'm chasing river smallmouth. So we're talking 1# to 2# fish for the most part. But we do get some that are 18-20" and 4#, and they sure can fight!! Also we hook into the occasional Flathead and rarely a muskie. So definitely need a good drag system when one of those is on the end of the line.

nelz

Quote from: BigTerp on May 13, 2019, 10:16:22 PMNelz - I'll give that a try. Do you like the carbon washers in the Pfluegers greased or dry? What is the best method of cleaning the carbon drag washers? I have brake cleaner handy, but can pick up some mineral spirits or acetone if something like that would work better.

I've used mineral spirits to clean them, but acetone should be ok too. Dry works well but I use greased since I fish salt water, it prevents corrosion of the metals.

I upgraded a larger Pflueger Supreme to greased CF for use on snook. These fish put up quite a tough fight, especially in the current of the inlet where I fished for them. A heavier yet still smooth drag was called for and the greased CF worked great. But I have to agree with Philaroman about using felt for lighter drag applications. Cf is great too, but really not needed for lighter drags.

alantani

there should be a drag washer under the spool as well.  did you take a look at that one? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

I'd put tape on the spool to cover the line, then crank on a few yards of heavy line, tighten the drag and pull off line against the drag.  Repeat a few times.  It will mash down the drag washers and get them to polish themselves a bit to remove the rough spots.  When you back off on the drag it should be smoother than before.
-steve

philaroman

that's a really good point
felt is compressible -- it pretty much seats itself w/ no extra attention after replacement
CF is hard/dense -- might need some quick breaking in at higher settings, before everything is seated & surfaces are "married"

BigTerp

Quote from: nelz on May 14, 2019, 04:28:07 AM
I've used mineral spirits to clean them, but acetone should be ok too. Dry works well but I use greased since I fish salt water, it prevents corrosion of the metals.

I upgraded a larger Pflueger Supreme to greased CF for use on snook. These fish put up quite a tough fight, especially in the current of the inlet where I fished for them. A heavier yet still smooth drag was called for and the greased CF worked great. But I have to agree with Philaroman about using felt for lighter drag applications. Cf is great too, but really not needed for lighter drags.

Makes sense. Thanks.

BigTerp

Quote from: alantani on May 14, 2019, 05:15:18 AM
there should be a drag washer under the spool as well.  did you take a look at that one? 

The washers under the spools are in good shape. However, they were not replaced with Carbontex. Just the 3 in the stack were replaced.

BigTerp

Quote from: oc1 on May 14, 2019, 05:36:58 AM
I'd put tape on the spool to cover the line, then crank on a few yards of heavy line, tighten the drag and pull off line against the drag.  Repeat a few times.  It will mash down the drag washers and get them to polish themselves a bit to remove the rough spots.  When you back off on the drag it should be smoother than before.
-steve

Good idea. Thanks.

BigTerp

Thanks again for all the replies. Much appreciated. I think I'm just going to go back to the stock felt washers. They worked fine before. I just thought switching to carbon washers would make things that much nicer. With my fairly light setup it seems to be working against me though.

With that said, how often are you guys replacing the felt drag washers (if any of you even use them :D)

Tiddlerbasher

For spinning reels with felt wahers I used to replace them every season. They were mainly used on carp, pike and catfish. Since joining this forum I swapped all of them for greased cf. I have never replaced cf washers. For very light applications, like fly reels, I simply bed the greased cf washers in by tightening the drag then rotating the spool by hand a few times - then back the drag off. I have fished with drags as light as 6ish oz for 1.5 - 2 lb tippets, I have never encountered any 'snatching' - the grease is a very important factor (Teflon based).

Gobi King

How much drag are you needing? 2 lb? as Phil put it, the felt drags would have been fine for  your needs.

I like small reels (size 10,20s) I fish for salmon (30 lbers) with these. Before I found this site and cf drags, I would have to replace my reels after a couple of years cuz the felt would dry and I would get jerky drags.

Reapply cals, check bottom of spool too and drag in down and work it the spool by hand and then back if off and check again with line.

I have replaced some of my smaller reels with cf drags and the drag is smooth and consistent, I don't wipe off extra cals from the cf drags, as the gods here told me that extra cals will squeeze out.

update us with what you find :-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

alantani

Quote from: BigTerp on May 14, 2019, 01:01:57 PM
Quote from: alantani on May 14, 2019, 05:15:18 AM

The washers under the spools are in good shape. However, they were not replaced with Carbontex. Just the 3 in the stack were replaced.

It's possible that the washer under the main gear could be the problem.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!