New to me 112h Senator Specials

Started by Sscoville, May 15, 2019, 02:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

The diameter of the 112H makes it faster than the Jigmaster when both spools are full, and it has higher capacity. That capacity may or may not be relevant depending on your use. I can cast a 3/0 about as far as a Jgmaster, I lose some distance with a 4/0 because of my silly little hands. That means for bigger line in rough conditions, 60#-80# mono or floro, a 3/0 is nice, a narrow 3/0 is really nice.

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Sscoville

I got one cleaned up and lubed. It just needs line. These were previously spooked with some sort of backing and mono. Any recommendations on what I should use for my intended use?

Bill B

Scoville, you have aluminum spools so no line backing is necessary, if you had three piece spools then you would add a Dacron backing to prevent spool damage.  If you like, spool it with 50 lb braid then add a top shot of mono, or spool it completely with mono.  If spooling with braid add a couple wraps of Flex Wrap to the arbor to prevent the line from slipping.  Make sure you add a very light coat of grease to the spool before hand to prevent the corrosion you just removed from returning.  I've never fished for your target species, but as others have said 30 lb mono is the ticket here.  Let us know what you do and pictures of your catch with the reels would be appreciated. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Sscoville

Is the 24-56 power handle still available? All I see on mysticparts is a 24-66?

swill88

Sscoville

Is it typical for replacement outer rings to be ill fitting?  I sanded the side plate a bit to get this replacement ring to fit a little better, but it's still not quite right.

foakes

Yes, Sscoville —

Many times, a modern new replacement ring will be too tight for an existing sideplate.

Whether the Bakelite plates have swollen over the years — or the new rings are manufactured a little too tight — makes no difference to the solution.

My solution is to just run a flat file a few laps around the inset rabbet edge of the plate — until the ring just fits on smoothly & flush with no forcing.

Nothing shows when the rings are installed — plus I always smear a little grease under the rings — not so they attach easier — but so when the next guy services it 10 years from now — it will just easily come apart with no salt rust on the inside of the rings.

Lastly, I snug up the plate screws — but do not over-tighten them.  No need.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Sscoville

They worked pretty good. I couldn't figure out how to rotate the pictures.  I want to thank Alan and the folks on this board. Had I not found these old reels and rods to fix up, I would not have gotten interested in this type of fishing. My wife, my son and I were ecstatic when we got this and another up to the boat. Doing it on rejuvenated gear made it even cooler.

foakes

Nice work!

Good fish!

Best,

Fred

** I straightened your pics...
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

It's a great catch ! And all the better 'cause you "did it yourself " !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mhc

Great way to test the reels after working on them, thanks for showing us the result.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

bhale1

Thats awesome....congratulations...
Brett

mo65

Way ta go Sscoville! I have that same Senator rod you have pictured here. I put a Sailfisher 130 on it. Looks like your work was a success. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~