Shimano Tiagra 30W LRS

Started by Abaddon, May 19, 2019, 12:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abaddon

Greetings all ..

Having a bit of an issue trying to configure my Tiagra 30W LRS reels.
At the moment the drag is almost non existent from free spool to just before strike. This is with the pre program dial set at its lowest and a few turns to crank it up some.

I am looking to get a more uniform drag performance from the start and not the aggressive curve the reels have a present.
Have been looking at the various threads - (Tiagra 50W LRS, Tiagra 30W LRS, can I get more drag? )
Have gotten quite a bit more drag with a few of the Bellville configs but still not a uniform/gradual increase.
The drag is well greased and smooth. The carbontex washer itself is in good nic, I have replacement drag washers as well.

So I'm not looking for more drag as many of the guys are, rather a more uniform/gradual drag increase.

Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

alantani

a smooth, gradual, progressive increase in drag is purely a function of the cam.  you'd have to pull it out and flat file both sides of the cam to flatten out the ramp. it's a long, slow, tedious process.  if you file away too much metal, you have to get a new cam and start all over.  this is not for the faint of heart.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Congratulations! You've found the boss's biggest pet peeve. Good luck.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Abaddon

Thanks for the confirmation of my suspicions.
Only managed to either lose or increase drag with the various configs of the bellvilles.

Have passed the info onto my client.

Tuna season is upon us here in SA and our annual Tuna Classic kicks off on Thursday so the boys are keen to get their gear sorted ASAP.

Once the season is over, I will get into the cam mod and see if I can get it right.
Fortunately am good with my hands and attention to detail so have confidence I should be able to get it done.

Again, thanks for having me aboard and for the info thus far.

Got another request that I will file in new thread.

Robert Janssen

a smooth, gradual, progressive increase in drag is purely a function of the cam.

No, it is very much a function of the arrangement of the belleville spring washers as well as the cam. It would be encouraged to return them to their stock configuration.

Many, or perhaps most drag cams curvature is in fact quite linear in shape, since this is the most logical and simplest form in production.

However, and this is perhaps what Alan was alluding to, this is specifically a Shimano LRS cam which by design is shaped differently to provide a steeper drag curve.

Rather than busying yourself with the minutae of grinding it, I would suggest you consider simply buying the regular Tiagra 30 drag cam from Shimano and seeing if that gets you on track, so to speak.

Abaddon

Thanks for the input Robert.

I have thought of going that route, again an issue with local parts supply.
We will see how it plays out after the season is up/crews get done pulling them tuna.

Not sure if my schematic differs from what you guys would see.
What part number are you getting for the cam on the 30W LRS v 30A?

Robert Janssen

Oh, sorry... didn't notice you were far away.

I got part numbers TT0503 for the Tiagra 30A, versus part number TT0541 for the Tiagra 30WLRSA.

On second thought, maybe that is more hassle than it is worth. I myself rarely or never actually order parts. YMMV.

exp2000

I encountered a problem like this a while back on a TLD25.

Not sure how it translates to a Tiagra but may be something worth considering.

Never serviced a Tiagra before and I am rather apprehensive because I currently got one in pieces on the bench. This is unfamiliar ground for me. Just gotta get my head around it before it spooks me!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KimberleyRodandReel/search/?query=TLD%20Belleville&epa=SEARCH_BOX
~

Caracal

Any update on this by swapping tt0541 to the tt0503 in the 30wlrs? I have both and like the drag in the 30a better than the 30wlrs.. Thanks to all the wise men for any help.