Hello from Costa Rica

Started by Rbruce63, May 20, 2019, 03:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbruce63

Hi I'm new to the forum! I am from Costa Rica. I own a Fenwick rod paired to a Shakespeare Sigma 2200-040, Shimano Sojurn with a Shakespeare Sigma 2200-035 and a Sigma rod for ultralight fishing paired to a Sigma 2200-025 reel.

I purchased an extra reel for my 025 but it seems it was made for the GX series instead of the CK series. Perhaps the only difference is the drag adjustment screw.

Can someone pinpoint me to finding the correct drag screw to use this reel and not damage the original drag adjustment screw?
Warm Regards,

Robert
San José, Costa Rica

alantani

welcome!  this one is going to be tough.  i don't know enough about these old spinners to tell you without schematics.  even then, i do not know of a reliable source of parts.  hopefully someone here will be able to help. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

welcome from a Costa Rica lover.  Dominick, San Mateo, CA
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Welcome!

If you mean the "drag knob" as the described drag screw —

Please post photos of your reel from different angles —

And I will see if I can match it up with one I have — then go through the parts bins of loose knobs to match.

Thanks!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Welcome from Virginia,,,,,,, ;D

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

happyhooker

Greetings, from Minnesota, USA.

Frank

Rbruce63

Quote from: Dominick on May 20, 2019, 04:41:37 PM

welcome from a Costa Rica lover.  Dominick, San Mateo, CA

Dad has a saying that you come to Costa Rica to see what God made and you come to the USA to see what man has been capable of making! And I am a fond admirer of the USA and have traveled a lot and studied in Massachusetts too!

Thanks for the kind words and if you're ever back drop me a line!

Sincerely,

Robert
Warm Regards,

Robert
San José, Costa Rica

Rbruce63

Quote from: foakes on May 20, 2019, 04:52:42 PM
Welcome!

If you mean the "drag knob" as the described drag screw —

Please post photos of your reel from different angles —

And I will see if I can match it up with one I have — then go through the parts bins of loose knobs to match.

Thanks!

Best,

Fred

Fred! Thanks for the earnest response! I will try to post pictures I am new to the site and don't know how to do it!

However, the difference has to be with the design of the CK drag screw or knob that goes on top of the reel and the cavity of the reel where the screw or knob seats into to press the drag assembly down. My 025 is a CK and the reel test I purchased is a GX.

If some one wants to exchange a CK 025 reel for a GX loaded to the brim with fresh z6# monofilament from Stren send me a line!

I'll try to post the pictures!

Regards,

Robert
Warm Regards,

Robert
San José, Costa Rica

Rbruce63

Quote from: Benni3 on May 20, 2019, 07:08:37 PM
Welcome from Virginia,,,,,,, ;D

I've never been that close to Virginia other than Washington DC and I sure love DC and it's museums! It is such a Southern town with all the brick buildings and the subway is outstanding!

Can you fish the Potomac? What species can be found there?

Thanks,

Robert
Warm Regards,

Robert
San José, Costa Rica

Rbruce63

Quote from: Darin Crofton on May 20, 2019, 07:13:32 PM
Welcome, from Tampa, FL!

I love Tampa and thanks for the welcome note! We land by the end of the year into Sarasota bay.We usually stay at Longboat Key and love the small town flair of Sarasota!

However, Tampa is a big and nice city with a historical district that is ver nice to walk like Ybor City! When driving to Tampa we take the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and make a detour to Sain Petersburg. I love to drive around and see the houses in Ocean Drive. What a nice city you live in!

Sincerely,

Robert

Warm Regards,

Robert
San José, Costa Rica

Rbruce63

Quote from: happyhooker on May 21, 2019, 03:04:32 AM
Greetings, from Minnesota, USA.

Frank

Frank, my brother is called Frank Edward, so you have a brother here in Costa Rica too! I've never been to Minnesota but the fishing has to be awesome! The school principal where my younger son attends to is from Minneapolis!

Sincerely,

Robert
Warm Regards,

Robert
San José, Costa Rica

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rbruce63

Quote from: alantani on May 20, 2019, 04:06:50 AM
welcome!  this one is going to be tough.  i don't know enough about these old spinners to tell you without schematics.  even then, i do not know of a reliable source of parts.  hopefully someone here will be able to help.  

Thanks I should have listened to my brother Frank that said, stop being such an nostalgic and be more practical and get a new reel! But I am a nostalgic and I had a previous 040 that has survived many decades of fishing even in salt water so I am very fond of the make and series of these reels!

I rescued if that is the term, a motor that dad left from an old cottage in the mouth of the Tarcoles river, the second largest river in Costa Rica, that has shifted in prestige since the dwindling of the age of glass to the apex of the age of plastics as it drains the Central Valley of the country!

When dad made the cottage there was not even a road. A friend of his drove himself and the materials in a grand Land Rover Pickup so the workers could start building the cottage, few instamatic pictures survive. There was a wire pulled raft that carried four cars across the Tarcoles River.

Dad's outboard was a Chrysler 20 from 1969. The fishing was awesome with the best Corvina or chicken fish (others call it a sea bass) found in the Country, also red snappers and all kinds of Pacific Ocean species! By the time dad sold his property we had made it through the age of glass and plastics started to emerge in the blue sand volcanic beaches.

So I rescued this 1969 Chrysler 20 that propels a Boston Whaler Sport 11 that I take to lake Arenal to fish for Machaca a relative to the Brazilian Piranha and Guapote commercially known as Rainbow Bass and lately Wolf Bass, a ciclid imported from Lake Nicaragua (para Hero is dovii) for no reason other than create interest in an otherwise delicious fish!

The fixing and adaptation to the Whaler of this vintage American motor, perhaps a glorified 15 HP brought me to Kansas City MO where I was invited to the 1999 Chrysler Nationals and I still have friends from thi era! Even my boat and motor made it to the Chrysler Nationals Calendar from that year!

So yes, I am a nostalgic!
Warm Regards,

Robert
San José, Costa Rica

Rbruce63

Warm Regards,

Robert
San José, Costa Rica