St. Vincents for reels?

Started by kmstorm64, May 20, 2019, 01:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

I was in the local St. Vincent's de Paul thrift store where I live Saturday, as they were having a 50% of sale for Armed Forces Day.  GF was looking for a few things and I was dragged along as support the mission.  I noticed they had a few "vintage" items that were well worn.  We go to check out and I notice a fishing reel in the case. It appears to be a well worn Penn.  GF needs to spend X amount of dollars to get what ever point/discount. I look at the cashier and ask her how much for the reel?  The reel is marked $9.50, and with half off it now became $4.75. A value in my mind anyways.  It is a Penn 65 with the old chrome spool.  It needs a good cleaning and then it is going off to be shipped with a box of stuff to support another of our members who support our Vets.    So St. Vinnies (my GF refers to them as that, and she is Catholic), may become one of my new reel locating destinations.

I will try to post some pics of the reel soon.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

kmstorm64

Okay the green corroded images are after I got it home.

The disassembled ones are after I took Peen Reel cleaner to over night, followed by hand polishing the parts with Motorcycle Polish S-100, and then I took it to the buffing wheel I have and some "Turtle Wax," polishing compound to it. 

When cleaning the parts initially I used OO (2 ought) steel wool, Peen Reel Cleaner, and checked small parts into the drill and spun them with 00 and S-100.  This helped get the bulk of the corrosion off of them, leaving behind a nice bronze pitted color, oh well not much I can do when the green is that strong!

kmstorm64

More Images, while not complete, I have polished and cleaned what I can.  More work to come as this is far from done. Some Vet will enjoy this reel!

kmstorm64

Last upload

Dominick

Looks like it came out okay.  Good work.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Cool. Venerable workhorses,  those old Long Beach 60 series reels. I built a 65 out of old 65/60 parts and gave it to my brother.
Here on Kauai, we have the Salvation Army and Habitat For Humanity. The HFH was good for a LB 67.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

kmstorm64

Quote from: Dominick on May 30, 2019, 03:09:47 PM
Looks like it came out okay.  Good work.  Dominick

Not done with it yet, I have a can of alumahyde that I think will take care of coating the litter parts, and I also have an older SS course thread gear sleeve for that reel I want to drop in it when I upgrade the drags and reassemble.