Daiwa millionaire 6hm

Started by Antipodean, May 21, 2019, 03:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antipodean

Hello all.
I just came across an old heavily used  millionaire 6hm. The drive/gear shaft has too much movement in it to continue using. Basically, it has worn it's attachment to the  set plate. The actual attachment can't be easily accessed. There is a bearing support  / cup in the way that seems to be integral  to the plate.
Is this the end of this reel, or is there a fix which doesn't require a serious machine shop?
Hoping I've missed something simple.
Noel

alantani

gotta check the set plate (key #38) to see if the post is loose.  sometimes you can hammer it tight again. 

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Daiwa/Millionaire/DAIWA%20MILLIONAIRE%206HM-6RM(81-101).pdf
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Antipodean

Thank you Alan.
It's loose alright. It'd be nice to at least centerpunch the shaft from the lefthand side of the plate, but it's inaccessible. I can't see how that  cup which holds the bearing (and looks like it would be part of a centripetal braking system on a different model using the same plate) can be removed and accurately reattached  to the plate...but I'll work on the hammer approach. Maybe  a carefully positioned hole through that cup to access the attachment of the shaft...
Regards
Noel

alantani

have you checked for a replacement?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nelz

Quote from: Antipodean on May 22, 2019, 12:53:58 PMIt's loose alright. It'd be nice to at least centerpunch the shaft from the lefthand side of the plate, but it's inaccessible. I can't see how that cup which holds the bearing (and looks like it would be part of a centripetal braking system on a different model using the same plate) can be removed and accurately reattached  to the plate...but I'll work on the hammer approach. Maybe  a carefully positioned hole through that cup to access the attachment of the shaft...

Is that "cup" molded on a plastic plate that covers the metal one? I'd like to see some photos of this reel's innards.  ???

Some parts for these are can still be found on flea-bay or even a cheap parts reel. There's also alot of inter-changeability between similar Daiwa models.

Antipodean

Can't see this part anywhere for that series. I spoke to a local tackle shop guy who has sold many of these reels. He indicated that apart from neglected bearings this is where they mostly fail   . Stocks of the new plate locally have apparently been used up years ago.. Not worth pursuing in his opinion. I think I agree. The shaft movement has "pegholed" it's attachment to such a degree that I don't think I could sufficiently spread the end of the shaft with a centerpunch. I don't like giving up but sometimes it's a good option.
It was worth a look  anyway. Thanks for your input