49A Upgrade (Formerly: Building a wide 49)

Started by xjchad, May 23, 2019, 06:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

So I left off with my 49 bridge that I had installed a 349 post into.  The plan was to use a 4/0 stainless gear sleeve, but the diameter of the gear sleeve didn't leave enough room to fit a drag spacer sleeve into the head plate.  I'm not willing to permanently modify the head plate since I want to be able to put this reel back to original someday.  I have another 49 head plate that I could have modified, but decided against that since I really want to fish the entire reel (sans internal mods) for nostalgia sake. (I know, I know, but it makes sense in my head, haha!)

So here's what I came up with.  The 349 post is much stronger, but I needed to use a smaller Jigmaster stainless steel sleeve. 

I started by drilling out the Jigmaster sleeve to fit the 349 post.

Then I cut the 349 post shorter.

Once I had the right height, I needed a groove in the post to match the retaining pin for the sleeve.

I started the groove with a hack saw blade, and finished it with a diamond file.

Now I have the Jigmaster stainless steel sleeve on the 349 post mounted to the 49 bridge.

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Maxed Out

Nice work Chad. To I bad you couldn't get the bigger one to work, but still nice upgrade with larger shaft
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on December 26, 2019, 08:57:33 PM
Now I have the Jigmaster stainless steel sleeve on the 349 post mounted to the 49 bridge.

That's what I call frankentastic! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mhc

Good thinking Chad, I like the grooving tool. Did you need to enlarge the recess at the base of the sleeve as well?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

xjchad

Thanks guys!

Quote from: mhc on December 26, 2019, 11:32:13 PM
Good thinking Chad, I like the grooving tool. Did you need to enlarge the recess at the base of the sleeve as well?

Mike

Mike,
I did not enlarge the sleeve there, but did shorten the shoulder of the post a little.

xjchad

Been really busy with other projects, but was able to make a stainless dog for it.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Great work Chad, very interesting, please keep us posted, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?