US 113 senator anti-reverse/drag issue

Started by GrantW, May 23, 2019, 09:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrantW

I purchased a used US113w last year from another site. Upon receiving the reel everything seemed in great order, I threw some braid on it and went to feel the drag a few times. I realized pretty quick something was off.
When the drag was pulled and lined would go out there would be a skip as if the dogs were skipping a tooth. It would re-engage and then it would happen again.

A little research showed an anti-reverse issue and that everyone's go-to fix seemed to be the Cortez conversion bridge assembly. I figured this had to be my issue, so I purchased one when they came available.

Today I got around to installing it, the problem is still there.
I've inspected this thing all over and while I am no reel repair guru, I feel like an issue like this should have an obvious sign in the teeth or something.

I cannot find anything. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?

I can make a video of what's going on if anyone's willing to help me out. 

nelz

Sounds like the ratchet gear might be out of alignment with the dogs, perhaps due to a missing or incorrectly installed part?

RowdyW

Are you sure that the braid is not intermittenly slipping on the spool? That sure sounds like the problem. Did you put a wrap of tape on the arbor before spooling the braid? Did you install the braid with at least 10 lbs. of drag?      Rudy

GrantW

Quote from: nelz on May 23, 2019, 09:22:49 PM
Sounds like the ratchet gear might be out of alignment with the dogs, perhaps due to a missing or incorrectly installed part?

It looked fine when I installed it, took it apart and inspected that exact thing, then put it back together.
It sure feels like one of the dogs skipping.

As for the braid, it could very well be that also. I'll  remove it and check that

Penn

Grant,

The issue you are describing is the pinion disengaging to the spool, the previous owner probably left the spool tension too loose while fishing it, once it skips once the pinion and/or spool spindle gets rolled over and then doesn't always engage properly causing the skipping problem you are describing.  A new pinion would likely solve your issues, but if the reel was constantly fished with this issue then a replacement spool may also be needed.

tony

Penn

Easiest way to confirm, spin the handle quickly and then quickly try and turn handle backwards.  The handle should stay in place but the spool will continue spinning with a "click, click, click" until it stops completely.

tony

Bill B

I agree with Tony, if the braid was slipping no noise would be felt/heard, by changing to the CC bridge the dogs and alignment weretaken out of the picture, the only thing left s the pinon skipping on the spool.  When I built my Coffee Can Baja Special, I needed a new pinion taht was "bumping" at a consistent pace.  I also needed to buy a spool, but unfortunately no one had a used spool and Mystic was the only place to get one (ouch that was expensive).....Good luck and let us know what you find out....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

GrantW

Quote from: Penn on May 24, 2019, 10:46:57 AM
Grant,

The issue you are describing is the pinion disengaging to the spool, the previous owner probably left the spool tension too loose while fishing it, once it skips once the pinion and/or spool spindle gets rolled over and then doesn't always engage properly causing the skipping problem you are describing.  A new pinion would likely solve your issues, but if the reel was constantly fished with this issue then a replacement spool may also be needed.

tony

This is promising. I noticed yesterday while apart the pinion side of the spool looked chipped but I couldn't tell if it was because of a breakage.

It would make sense also because when I adjusted the spool tension more/less the frequency of the skip would change also.

Also, did the test discribed above, turning the handle then stopping does indeed make the spool click several times until it stops.

It's still intermittent but it's definitely there.
Guess Yall found my issue

steelfish

Quote from: GrantW on May 24, 2019, 07:34:07 PM

Guess Yall found my issue

hopefully you will only need the pinion, if you ended up needing the spool too it would be an expensive fix.

The Baja Guy

GrantW

I believe I'm looking at having to get a new spool. I pulled it back apart and wiped a lot of the new grease off of the pinion area and the keyed part of the spool.
It looks pretty obvious, kind of aggravated I was so quick to overlook that part.

I have some pictures. just not sure how to post them yet.

Robert Janssen

Quote...A new pinion would likely solve your issues, but if the reel was constantly fished with this issue then a replacement spool may also be needed..

Or some work with a small file.

GrantW

The pinion actually looks like it's better off than the spool.
Go figure, the cheaper part is fine...or looks fine. But not the $88 part.

I'll likely replace both when I decide to bite that bullet.

GrantW

I went ahead and ordered the parts new from mystic.
The fiancé seemed to be under the impression it could wait but I've had this reel for a year or more and haven't even been able to fish it.  (I mainly fish the surf here in Texas)

The spool was $88. I debated about waiting to see if I could find one cheaper but with a reel model this new it may be awhile before surplus parts are out there.

steelfish

Quote from: GrantW on May 27, 2019, 02:32:38 PM
I went ahead and ordered the parts new from mystic. The fiancé seemed to be under the impression it could wait

well, maybe she wanted you to wait just a little bit, maybe 10 years more at least
The Baja Guy

oc1

Sorry to have to tell you this, but your beloved one seems to have flunked the fiancé test.  :)
-steve