Heddon 245, same as a Roddy 825

Started by festus, May 23, 2019, 11:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Sheridan (Swami) graciously sent me this Heddon 245 several months ago.  It was in good shape, just had an incorrect bail roller nut that was too big.  It was also missing the line guide, then again, I could have lost it myself.

I've looked for months, maybe even a year for a parts reel with no success.  These reels are scarce as hen's teeth.  Then some feller on Facebook, I think he was from Redondo Beach told me that a Roddy 825 was the same reel.  Took a while to find one of those at the right price, but it arrived last week.  Yep, same reel, only a different handle and different color.  So I cleaned those Roddy parts.

Here was the problem with the Heddon 245.

So after being familiar with the Roddy, disassembling the Heddon was easy.

Never found a schematic for a Heddon 245, but you can get an idea what's going on inside.

Never seen an oscillation system like this.

Not the best metal out there, but the main gear was in good shape.

Thanks again, Sheridan, I now have a fully functioning Heddon 245.  The Roddy may be needed for parts later.  I put the Roddy back together without lubrication.

Shootr2003

Nice job and find ,I have an 825 that works quite well I do keep an eye out in case now I have something else to look for ,thanks
If a man sails the seas, with no woman around, is he still wrong?

happyhooker