Squidder bearing

Started by milne, May 24, 2019, 03:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon G

Hey guys... another newbie question...

I can't for the life of me get the damn bearings out of the side of my 140L. I am not applying TOO much pressure to bend or warp anything, but enough I should get a little wiggle.
Am I missing something here?
Do the bearings in the 140L come out or is that just for different versions of the Squidder? If they do come out, does anybody have a link to the tutorial? haha (I'm looking at the 145 tutorial with the pink 145)
In the tutorial, there is a tool used. I don't have one of those, but a dental hook I am hooking under. I'm just afraid I'm going to damage something.
Please advise.

Thank you in advance!
Tight Lines :)

Swami805

You're on the right track, they can be a bear to get out but it should come out. 146L and 145 should basically be the same,just different widths.
There's a couple threads about getting bearings out with a few different methods. I use one of those cheap paint can openers with the tip cut down,works about 80% of the time haha
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

if the bearing is shot and you're going to replace it anyway, then just torch it for 20-30 seconds and then try to pull it out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brandon G

And just to make sure, that is for both sides? The left AND right bearing should be able to pop out? I haven't been able to get either out, but I just want verify. haha

Brandon G

I got the right side out! I bent my tool pretty bad... it is my works, so I have to replace it now, but I got the stubborn little guy out! It isn't even rusted... just was some sandy grime in there....

EDIT:

GOT THE LEFT SIDE OUT. DEFINITELY NEED NEW TOOL NOW... haha

alantani

Alto Mare

If you're talking plastic plates, I have one on my bench now that it would have never come out without my miniature gearing puller.
I tried to get it done by hand... just to see, using pics and such with no luck.

The left side hearing cup will also give you a herd time at times.

The bearing puller costs over $200 And I don't expect you to purchase one.
If you don't mind paying for shipping, you could send the plate and the left side bearing cup to me and I'll get them out.
If you want to try on your own, go for it and good luck.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Brandon G

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 10, 2020, 10:36:05 PM
If you're talking plastic plates, I have one on my bench now that it would have never come out without my miniature gearing puller.
I tried to get it done by hand... just to see, using pics and such with no luck.

The left side hearing cup will also give you a herd time at times.

The bearing puller costs over $200 And I don't expect you to purchase one.
If you don't mind paying for shipping, you could send the plate and the left side bearing cup to me and I'll get them out.
If you want to try on your own, go for it and good luck.

Sal
$200?!? jeepers

I got them out 3/4 of the way. Just the actual bearing in the left side plate is stuck. I think there is rust on that one as I spray it with "free all" a rust eater/remover and it comes out brownish orange. The weird thing is, the reel had great spins before I decided I must get to the bearings... even with all this junk in there.
I'm going to soak/give  them a bit to rethink if they want to play nice or not. If I can't get it out, I will take you up on sending it your way. it is just the side bearing cap with the bearing stuck in. I'm thinking I'll be able to get it out though. *fingers crossed*

I've, sadly, done damage to the bearing and the bearing cap thing. They are usable and 100% functional, just dented on a spot and scuffed. I will probably end up replacing them so they don't cause any issues down the road and this is going to be my main fishing reel.

Brandon G

I have beaten the mighty stuck bearings and they are soaking in penetrating oil, then I will soak them in reelx.

I feel like I could conquer the world now... at least one bearing at a time.

alantani

now that the old bearings are out, it's time to replace them with new ones! 

Brandon G

Quote from: alantani on May 10, 2020, 11:50:30 PM

So to me, they look identical, would 26-140 bearings work to replace both bearings? ( https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/26-140.aspx)
If the cap is fine, I assume that would work right?

I also was curious in your 145 squidder tutorial, why did you leave the bearing shield off? Should I do the same?

Rancanfish

Brandon,  you can get away without removing the shield.  I have lots of reels and have never removed one.  Cleaned and lubed they will be fine.

I'm too tired out from cleaning my garage today to look at a Squidder but, if you are ordering bearings Mo @ Mystic will know if they match.

Good luck
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Brandon G on May 11, 2020, 01:48:50 AM
Quote from: alantani on May 10, 2020, 11:50:30 PM

So to me, they look identical, would 26-140 bearings work to replace both bearings? ( https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/26-140.aspx)
If the cap is fine, I assume that would work right?

I also was curious in your 145 squidder tutorial, why did you leave the bearing shield off? Should I do the same?
Yes, same bearing for both sides.
If you do decide to remove the shield, be very careful.
One side of the bearing has the cage that holds the tiny balls and could fall apart.
These are good quality bearings and last a long time, I usually don't remove the shield on them, but do it on others.
I will usually soak them in some TSI 301 in a glass jar and spinning them a couple of times as I soak them.
The tip of a chopstick holds them nicely while spinning.
If the shield is bent on any, time to replace that bearing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Brandon G

Thank you guys! I think I found the bearings on another site for about 1/2 the price. Has anybody heard of MCMaster?
This link has 2 different bearings that are the exact size... One is significantly more expensive. https://www.mcmaster.com/stainless-steel-ball-bearings/for-shaft-diameter~0-125inches/ball-bearing-type~standard/width~0-171875inches/
ABEC-5 vs ABEC-7 - Do you think ABEC-7 is worth the extra money? Do we know what kind of bearings Mystic has?

Does the copper washer between the bearing and the shield help the bearing enough I should make sure I get the bearings from Mystic, or is it not as important?

pito

Wonder why nobody talks about boca bearings? 
their customer service is top shelf! 
https://www.bocabearings.com/products/bearing-applications/fishing-reel-bearings?ProductType=2

they also have a "Chat Feature" for any immediate questions.