Cleanng of surface corrosion

Started by Lunker Larry, May 24, 2019, 02:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Calling on this sites experience again.
So, I'm in the middle of Canada and I just got two Tekotas to service that are salt water corroded. First time for everything I guess.
My question is what is the best way to clean the outside of these reels. I don't want to ruin the anodized aluminum, plastic or paint job. I know vinegar is the most popular cleaner but how long would I soak these and would I have to dilute it for the aluminum parts?

Thanks all for your time and knowledge.

Larry

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

RowdyW

The aluminum parts are anodized so a 20 minute soak in vinegar with a light brushing should remove the corrosion. After that rinse with warm water. The vinegar can be nuetralized with a mix of bakeing powder & water. Oops, baking soda & water.     Rudy

Lunker Larry

Can't get the handles off. Should I drop the whole reel in vinegar?
What about the drag washers? Do they survive the soaking?
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

philaroman

Quote from: RowdyW on May 24, 2019, 02:43:21 PM
The aluminum parts are anodized so a 20 minute soak in vinegar with a light brushing should remove the corrosion. After that rinse with warm water. The vinegar can be nuetralized with a mix of bakeing powder SODA !!! & water.      Rudy

baking SODA is the pure alkaline compound, Sodium Bicarbonate...

baking powder is baking soda w/ other stuff, including dry acidic ingredients & SALT

Quote from: Lunker Larry
link=topic=28559.msg329869#msg329869 date=1558709417

Can't get the handles off. Should I drop the whole reel in vinegar?
What about the drag washers? Do they survive the soaking?

NO!!!  you don't want anything acidic, that breaks down grease, soaking into fiber washers

use penetrating oils & mild heat for disassembly & soak individual parts for corrosion removal

Lunker Larry

Kinda figured that about the drag washers. Appreciate the input.

Lunker Larry

Still working on these with no progress made at getting the handles off. Vinger soak made everything look prettier but that's about it. Just going to keep applying penetrating oil for a bit and wait if out. The handle has reached its zen state and has become one with the drive shaft.
Got caught up on other reels this morning so maybe try heat and for imaginative cursing later this week.

LL

Tiddlerbasher

Heat from a mini/micro blow torch. Stick it in the freezer. Then hit the nut with heat :-\

Lunker Larry

Got the nuts off. It's the handles that have bonded to the drive shaft.
I'll try the freezer thing and then heat the handle with a hair dryer.

alantani

you can't torch it at all.  one trick is to back off the star and use the star to try to lift off the handle.  first, see if you can get the handle to wiggle at all.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Lunker Larry

Nada, zip, zilch. Handle is like it is welded on

Lunker Larry

Got one! Sure don't envy you guys working on salt water reels.

thorhammer

Nasty. Any lube is better than none, I think.

handi2

I've seen them much worse and they always come back.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: Lunker Larry on May 28, 2019, 04:32:02 PM
Got one! Sure don't envy you guys working on salt water reels.

Yay!!

put lots of penetrating oil, wd-40, liquid wrench, etc on the handle and shaft that are still stuck together, leave it for a day and later tap the handle witha wooden hammer or heavy kitchen spoon, use the star to push the handle as Alan suggested.
The Baja Guy

Lunker Larry

Been soaking steadily with penetrating oil.
What I did was put it in the freezer then heated the handle with hair dryer. Cupped it in my hand supporting the handle and whacked the drive shaft with a hammer. Second reel wont budge. Still working on that one. Star drag not doing anything and I don't want to push it further and strip threads.