Building a D-A-M Quick 220N from two parts reels

Started by festus, May 27, 2019, 06:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This reel was advertised as having a rotor out of round, also the bail stop was frozen.  Behind it in a bag are parts reel I've had going on two years.  It had a broken foot, threw the housing away a while back.  Also the handle was bent.

These N series only use one screw on the side plate.

Not too dirty inside, but needs a good cleaning.

Removing the unthreaded pin from the axle.

Removing c-clip from the oscillating arm.

Taking out the axle.

There were two washers on the oscillation arm held by the c-clip.

The rotor nut is 12mm with right handed threads.

Removing snap ring to extract the bearing and pinion gear.

Knocking out rolled pin to remove the handle.  A 3/32" punch is perfect.

Sorting parts from both reels to find the best for the finished product.

I don't always disassemble the anti-reverse system when rebuilding an N series.  But this one was dirty and needed it.

Got it clean and reassembled.  

Superlube, of course.

Got the bearing, pinion, and stubborn snap ring back in.

Adding c-clip to secure the main gear shaft.

This is a very smooth, quiet reel.  I like the bail trip and anti-reverse assemblies.  Quite a bit more difficult to service, however than the non-N series.

Too bad the 220N didn't have a high speed model, but I'm sure satisfied with what I have here.

festus

This is the first N model I've seen with a two piece spool.

basto

I like the non threaded pin on the occilation arm. A smart departure from the tiny threaded screw on previous models.
The anti reverse is interesting. So does it work on the rotor?
Looks like the N series is not ambidextrous?
You have a very nice reel there now. Good work.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

festus

Quote from: basto on May 27, 2019, 09:20:33 PM
I like the non threaded pin on the occilation arm. A smart departure from the tiny threaded screw on previous models.
Greg
No Greg, the N series isn't ambidextrous.  And it's really important to get the rolled pin removed from the handle, or you can't fully service the reel.   I have a 550N that I've never been able to get the pin out.  I did my best cleaning around the gears and the reel works very well and smooth, just not what you'd call fully serviced.

The click of the ante-reverse on these N models is much quieter than the previous versions.  The anti-reverse lever doesn't jump around as in the 220.

mo65

Nice break down and explanation Chester. I love that Superlube on spinners. I need to get a few N series. The only one I've had I gave to my brother, a sweet little 110N.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Greg
I failed to answer your entire question, Greg.  Yes, the rotor has indentations every 30 degrees. 

festus

Quote from: mo65 on May 27, 2019, 10:28:38 PM
Nice break down and explanation Chester. I love that Superlube on spinners. I need to get a few N series. The only one I've had I gave to my brother, a sweet little 110N.
A while back I went to ebay and did a breakdown on the average prices of D-A-M Quicks.  The 110N was bringing the most money, even more than the Microlite 265 and the 110. 

Mo, I really like the 331N and the 441N.  The 441N would be comparable to the high speed Mitchell 406.  Spool some 65 lb test braid on a 441N and it should handle about anything in freshwater down my way.  It's been almost 20 years since I fished saltwater.  But I wouldn't hesitate to use a D-A-M Quick.  They are so easily disassembled and put back together there would be no problem removing sand and salt.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Nice reel & great explanation of all pertinent details.  Like, mo65, I gotta see about getting an "N", maybe a 330 or 440.

Frank

basto

Quote from: festus on May 27, 2019, 10:37:46 PM
Greg
I failed to answer your entire question, Greg.  Yes, the rotor has indentations every 30 degrees.  

Yes, I like the design of this anti reverse. I think a bit more gentle on the pawl than those that are on a ratchet on the pinion like the Penn SS
Thanks for the pic Chester.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

happyhooker

Quote from: basto on May 28, 2019, 04:22:00 AM
Quote from: festus on May 27, 2019, 10:37:46 PM
Greg
I failed to answer your entire question, Greg.  Yes, the rotor has indentations every 30 degrees.  

Yes, I like the design of this anti reverse. I think a bit more gentle on the pawl than those that are on a ratchet on the pinion like the Penn SS
Thanks for the pic Chester.

Yeah, and more gentle than those spinning reels that have the ratchet on the main gear, where the weakest link in the entire gear train is also the weakest link in your AR.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester! It always pays to hang on to those old parts reels. Eventually, they always seem to come in handy.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby