Who is the bees knees for repairing/hot rodding Abu reels?

Started by Matt300ZXT, May 28, 2019, 04:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt300ZXT

There are like a million sub categories on this forum so I hope this is the proper place.  Who in the States is the absolute authority on repairing, troubleshooting, and hot rodding Abu Garcia round reels? I picked up a 5500 C3 2 Speed that just feels a lil sloppy so it could probably use a part or two replaced, and may wanna try out some of those fancy new bearings I've seen as well as some drag system work.

festus

Matt300ZXT, there are many Abu gurus on here.  I'm really reluctant to name names fearing I'll leave someone out.  

There is a member on here, Greg (Snagged2) who used to live here in Tennessee, then moved to Arizona. I haven't seen him online in quite a while. I had intended to send him one of my reels, but after trial and error, I figured out the problem myself.

Check out the posts the Abu Garcia section, you may be surprised what you'll learn. Plenty of tutorials on Abus on YouTube also.

Donnyboat

Hi Matt, as Chester said, check out some tutorials, then it is possible for you to do it your self, take plenty of digital photos as you go step by step, I am sure you can do it, everyone here, will help you, if you have any question as you go, just ask, I` ve got my money on you, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Keta

They really are a easy reel to work on.  Take yours apart and we can help. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I get them in for repair often. In fact I have one in now. My question is what kind of drags are you fishing them?  The reel, although has 4 drag washers, only two are used at a given time. With higher drags the slot of the inner gear sleeve gets worn and often mushroomed to a point that the outer gear sleeve no longer functions properly. I don't have replacement parts but I can do why I can to make them fishable but if you are fishing high drag settings for that reel, it will continue to have problems.  I predict that the reel is safe to fish 4-6# of drag. Over that it'll damage the reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Robert Janssen

I already replied on your other thread, but anyway:

It is a little hard to see exactly what might be wrong when you say it felt a little sloppy.

When you took it apart, did you happen to notice / pay attention to a very small, very thin, conical spring that resides on top of the two small differential gears? It can easily become lost, or stick to the inside of the sideplate when you take it off. It is absolutely vital to the reel's function.

Has anyone else been messing around in the reel before you?

Have you seen this thread?   https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3927.0

Spectra line slipping on spool?

Where are you?