Marking Spectra?

Started by Fishy247, May 29, 2019, 05:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: theswimmer on May 30, 2019, 08:31:32 PM
Spectra can and will be degraded by any solvent , of such a Sharpie has to keep the ink liquid.
As a climber and rigger with over 35 years experience we see failures at the worst times.
I have personally seen 2 failures right where names were written on Spectra slings .  As a climber I have also observed extreme degradation on 5 mm cord where marked with a Sharpie. Not a good thing where that piece of pro may be the only thing protecting you from a 60 foot whipper.....
Not my choice for marking Spectra or Kevlar .

Interesting...

Spectra is made from a super high density form of polyethylene.  I found a manufacturer's  polyethyline chemical compatibility table.  While many   solvents are listed as compatible for polyethylene containers,  some were not, including xylene,  which is used or used to be used in some permanent markers.   I didn't find xylene listed in a recent  MSDS for some common types of Sharpies.  I might risk it for marking fishing line,  but not for anything that would keep me attached to the side of a cliff :)

I learn something new every time I come by this site.

-J

oc1

The spectra dogma is that it does not break down with UV exposure either.  That is simply not true.  It may degrade more slowly than most plastics but it only takes a few weeks under a subtropical sun to get a noticeable loss of breaking strength.
-steve