Looking for easy to tie loop knot

Started by Reel Beaker, May 29, 2019, 06:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

I have been having issues tying the surgeon loop knot for heavier lines and was wondering if anyone had any good loop knots to share for heavier mono.

Thanks.

Fishy247

I've had good success with the perfection loop. I use it for tying hooks and lures on for better action.

https://www.animatedknots.com/perfection-loop-knot

Mike

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Just like fishy247 perfection loop.

Three se7ens

Perfection loop is my go-to for loop knots.  Its easy and strong.

happyhooker

Canoeman's Loop is the easiest loop knot I know of.

Frank

Bryan Young

Seagar knot. I think that is what it's called.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reel Beaker

Tiddlerbasher

For mono/fluorocarbon I use either a perfection loop or surgeons double loop knot.

SoCalAngler

Bryan I think you have the wrong name for the knot you use. The SeaGuar knot is used for the most part to attach fluoro to mono. I don't think you can use that knot to make a loop.

philaroman

why do you need a loop?

Perfection & Rapala loops stay open more, for better lure action at the terminal end...  also, the tag end doesn't point straight back, so you catch less salad

SeaGuar & Surgeon's loops are smaller, more streamlined & slightly stronger -- better for loop-to-loop & swivel clips

any simple joint knot is a loop knot, if you loop the same line back

MarkT

Quote from: Reel Beaker on May 30, 2019, 12:41:29 PM
Quote from: MarkT on May 29, 2019, 06:35:35 PM
What do you consider heavier mono?

I guess 40 lbs and above.
[/quote
I don't have a problem tieing a surgeon's knot to create a doubled up section of line or to add a leader on 40-50# . I prefer the surgeon's knot over the spider hitch for creating a loop. If looking for a loop knot to get more movement by a lure or non-ringed hook I just use a uni or San Diego and don't cinch it down all the way.

MarkT

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 30, 2019, 05:13:20 PM
Bryan I think you have the wrong name for the knot you use. The SeaGuar knot is used for the most part to attach fluoro to mono. I don't think you can use that knot to make a loop.

You create a loop with a Seaguar knot the same way as with a Surgeon's knot.

jurelometer

It is easy to compare loop knots.  Tie one of each type on the end of a short section of line.  Pull on both loops until one breaks.  Repeat a few times.  If using nylon,  soak the  line/knots in water for 15 minutes or so.  Be careful when testing knots with heavy lines, and definitely wear eye protection.

The knot that works the best for you and the line you use may not be the same as for me or someone else.

In addition to ease of tying in heavy leader, you may also want to consider:

1. Does the tag lay back, or stick out of the side of the knot? Tags that stick out catch weeds and are more prone to tangling the leader.

2. Breaking strength.  If tying a loop in heavy leader that is much stronger than the main line, this is not as important.

3. Ease of tying naked loops vs though eyes in swivels/hooks vs  larger lures.

Getting down to specific knots I have tried and/or others mentioned:

Perfection loop -  Easy to tie reliably and quickly with a small amount of practice.  Works well on larger diameter and stiffer leaders.  Tag sticks out and 90 degrees.  Good but not best for breaking strength.   Kind of funky for  me when tying on larger lures, but naked loops or live bait hooks it is a good option, especially in thicker lines.

Non-slip loop:  Easy to tie, stronger than the perfection loop, tag points back along mainline.  Gets a bit tough to cinch down as line gets harder and diameter gets larger.   I use this loop almost exclusively up until about 60 lb stiff mono or fluoro.  As the line gets thicker/stiffer, you need to try three vs four turns to see which is stronger.   I usually switch from four to three when using stiff leader at 40 lbs or above.  Works well naked or through eyes on any size terminal tackle

Rapala knot:  The same as a non-slip loop except that the tag passes through the overhand from the other side.  Not as strong as the non-slip for me and others.

Loop knot in Seagar documentation: (maybe what Bryan was referring to?).  Another variant on the non-slip loop but replacing the wraps with a second overhand.  I haven't used this knot, but I would be careful about ensuring that the second overhand does not come undone with stiffer leader. Looks to me like the tag sticks out too.

Canoe man's knot:  Haven't tried this .  Comes out a bit lower in breaking strength tests than others, but as mentioned, this may not matter if using leader much stronger than the mainline.

Double/triple surgeons: Very quick  to tie naked loops, reasonably strong, tag points back.     Bulky knot,  which bothers me in thicker lines.  Not so good  for  tying through eyes.   I also don't get consistency on breaking strength,  but that is probably because I am tying too fast and not cleanly enough.  I use this knot occasionally with lighter lines and naked loops.

Doubling knots:  these knots are better for making long loops, often for doubling the line.   Not used much for terminal tackle.   the bimini is the king of the doubling knots-100% if tied correctly.   Australian plait is supposed to add more stretch than the Bimini, but time consuming to tie.   Spider hitch is fast to tie, generally  not as strong as the Bimini,  but some tiers get a stronger loop on braid with the spider over the Bimini  (not me).

I would suggest starting with the perfection and the non-slip loop.  This will cover most of the bases.   If you need a doubling loop,  start with a Bimini.

Quote from: philaroman on May 30, 2019, 05:44:17 PM

[...snip]
any simple joint knot is a loop knot, if you loop the same line back
Q

This confused me.  While we would end up with a loop, wouldn't this result in load on the tag, which presumably might not work so well, at least in some knots?

-J

SoCalAngler

https://www.seaguar.com/applications/knot-guide/63-seaguar-knot.html

I don't see a loop here. Are you saying you can do this with one line only to create a loop?