New to the D.A.M. Quicks....what do I have?

Started by Bill B, June 02, 2019, 09:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Went to an estate sale and picked up some old beater stuff, but found this diamond in the rough....I know little about D.A.M. Reels, but from what I gather this is a 270?   No emblems or marking other than the West Berlin cover plate and Quick Super. The body is painted dark green crinkle and the spool still has some black paint....looking forward to fishing it, but will need a complete service....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Correct, Bill —

DQ 270 Super.

Around 60 years old.

It will service and clean up to be fully capable and fishable, even if no parts are desired.

Generally, a 270 will need 17 to 21 parts to bring it back to new condition.

There are some tricks on these that are not intuitive — and could result in ruined parts if not aware of them.

Needs a full disassembly, cleaning of all parts, burnishing and polishing of all parts, recleaning, replacement of any parts wanted, modern lubes, tune, and adjust.

There were (4) versions of these over a period of 9 years — so even though some part numbers may match in theory — there are differences that will not allow them to work properly — unless matched to the proper parts version.

The crank shaft comes out from the outside — but a tiny roll pin under the gear must be punched out — the gear removed from the shaft — before removal is possible.

There is also a steel pin through the ball handle that must be removed — this is harder.  Inspect with a magnifying glass to see which end of the pin is slightly larger — and has splines hopefully showing.  Using a punch, hammer, and a block of wood with a hole and groove cut into it — punch out the pin from the smaller end of the pin.  After 60 years, these are seldom easy — but it has to come out to get cleaned up.

Of course, it also needs a new stand.

These reels are so tough — that any of these things can be worked around — depending on how you wish them to end up — modified or original.

I can help you with any parts on these, Bill — depending on what you want to do.

A couple of these were restored in between builds last week — that were both much worse than yours — and they turned out perfect.

If done right — your kids will be using it long after you and I have moved on...

Toughest of the Quick reels.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Thank you Fred, will start into it next week and see what I have.....will be in contact for parts....hopefully not too many.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Bill, looks as there is plenty of meat left on that foot ,of course a new replacement would be nice, but I would file it down a little and hit it with some paint.

Fred, if you're talking about variation on the guts, do you mind sharing what parts would not work properly?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 03, 2019, 02:25:16 AM
Bill, looks as there is plenty of meat left on that foot ,of course a new replacement would be nice, but I would file it down a little and hit it with some paint.

Fred, if you're talking about variation on the guts, do you mind sharing what parts would not work properly?

Sal

Switch ring, braking ring, trip lever, drive plate, cone screw, spool axle, drag parts depending on type of spool...think most everything else will interchange and work between versions with no issues —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jigmaster501

Fred,

I just purchased a Quick Super which allegedly needs only a bail spring.

I will see when I get it.

Other than that, it looks like its in good shape.

I guess the bail springs would interchange???

Thanks,

Eugene

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on June 03, 2019, 04:04:47 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on June 03, 2019, 02:25:16 AM

Sal

Switch ring, braking ring, trip lever, drive plate, cone screw, spool axle, drag parts depending on type of spool...think most everything else will interchange and work between versions with no issues —

Best,

Fred
Got it Fred! Thanks!...

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Quote from: jigmaster501 on June 03, 2019, 09:39:31 AM
Fred,

Thanks,

Eugene

Yes, Eugene —

90% of the parts will interchange between all Super models.  Bail springs also.

Typically, when someone sez it just needs a bail spring — there is a little more to it...

Important to remember that these HD DQ Super 270 Spinners were built for the salt — few have been used anywhere else. 

These are reels designed to work for a living.  As you study the strength points, overbuilt components, materials, tolerances, and the tiniest attention to detail — you will be impressed, as well as possibly come to respect the experienced design approach by the DQ engineers who also were experienced anglers.

The most complicated items to engineer into a product are not additional features or fancy parts — it is simplicity, overbuilt functions, strength, and longevity.  And these only come by experience and pride in the finished product.

These old DQ 270 Supers are not pretty, they are not cutting edge, they are not modern, they are not expensive.  However, they came from an era, where it was useful to manufacture parts that would interchange, as well as hold up for generations. 

Oversized double supported bearing and steel worm drive, bronze gears, oversized steel spool shaft, dead simple A/R, parts prepped for salt resistance, double reinforced bail with dead simple operation for salt conditions, even a replaceable stand that is actually stronger when assembled to the body — than a one piece frame and stand. 

A good sized book could be written about the features on these tough old DQ Supers — but few would appreciate the details.  However, as we use them, work on them, and observe their capabilities — we will likely come to appreciate one of the toughest salt water spinners ever produced.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

jigmaster501

Fred,

The reel comes on Friday. I will let you know what happens. Hopefully it will not need much...lol

Thanks,

Eugene

festus

Quote from: jigmaster501 on June 03, 2019, 09:39:31 AM
Fred,

Thanks,

Eugene
Part no. 100-059, bail spring fits the 550, 550N, and Super 270 according to a seller on ebay.  I know for a fact that the Super 270 and 550 interchanged because I tried it.

jigmaster501

Thanks a bunch.... Now I know at least 1 part to order... Can't wait to use this reel.