Can't seem to get diawa exceler 100p back together

Started by Ryan W, June 04, 2019, 04:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan W

I'm rebuilding a diawa exceler 100p (around 2010 vintage). i have the clutch section almost back together, but can't figure out where to place the dog spring and clutch trip lever on the handle side (schematic indicates there should be just one on each side). I also can't figure out how to locate the dog spring on the other side (or where it anchors to?) . I've attached a couple pictures. Can anyone point me toward where they ought to go?

Alas, I forgot to take a picture before I took it apart :(

Thanks in advance!

Best,

--Ryan

exp2000

Here is a Strikeforce - looks pretty similar.

The crankshaft retaining plate usually anchors things together on these reels.

Ryan W

thanks for the help! That picture was incredibly useful. I was able to get the rest of the reel back together (even had a working drag for a minute), but now when I pull line off, I just hear a "click click" sound with no drag at all, even with the star buttoned down. The handle is not spinning backwards.

My guess is either an anti-reverse problem (what is the anti-reverse supposed to sit against?), or the pinion is not engaging fully with the spool?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Best,

--ryan

exp2000

Quote from: Ryan W on June 04, 2019, 02:59:20 PM
when I pull line off, I just hear a "click click" sound with no drag at all, even with the star buttoned down. The handle is not spinning backwards.

My guess is either an anti-reverse problem (what is the anti-reverse supposed to sit against?), or

the pinion is not engaging fully with the spool?

The later would be my guess.

Remove the side-plate and check operation.

Make sure that the pinion can travel freely inside the support bearings and it meshes properly with the spool pin.
~

philaroman

this is for a Curado, but fairly generic for pinion engagement/wear of low-profile modern baitcasters...  may be same issue as yours: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27336.0

Ryan W

Thanks for the pointers! By free travel in the support bearings, what do you mean by that? The bearing that sits in the recessed in the side plate that the pinion is supposed to slide in and out of is a bit of a tight fit. It was stuck when I took the reel apart (had to break the two pieces apart with a hammer) and is still kind of sticky going in and out now. Do you think that bearing replacement is the only way to fix this problem, or is it an issue with the pinion? I did not notice any gunk buildup on the pinion itself.

For the previously documented issue with the Curado, I am a little confused as to what the issue is there. Is it wear on the end of the pinion that meshes with the spool, or the mating surface with the bearing, or the gear portion itself? 

Another possibility I thought of is that the pinion is not meshing well with the main gear. The post that holds the main gear with the handle has a ton of play in it, and it seems likely to me that they are getting out of alignment. I can check this with the plate off tonight.

Best,

--Ryan

exp2000

Quote from: Ryan W on June 04, 2019, 05:37:36 PM
By free travel in the support bearings, what do you mean by that? The bearing that sits in the recessed in the side plate that the pinion is supposed to slide in and out of is a bit of a tight fit. It was stuck when I took the reel apart (had to break the two pieces apart with a hammer) and is still kind of sticky going in and out now. Do you think that bearing replacement is the only way to fix this problem, or is it an issue with the pinion? I did not notice any gunk buildup on the pinion itself.

Yeah, that is your problem.

The pinion travels up and down through bearings 4 and 15 so it is critical that the bores be absolutely clean or it will jam and you will experience issues. You must remove any rust or corrosion from the bores and I suggest that you buff or polish the head and skirt of the pinion  as well.

Since you had to use force to separate the parts, you might want to check the bearings to make sure that they are free and smooth as they may need replacement.

Finally, don't forget to apply grease to the contact surfaces to prevent this from happening again.

Ryan W

That sure does seem like it! I will re-buff both ends of the gear and replace the bearings if needed. How clean of a fit should I expect? should the parts slip with fingertip pressure?

Best,

--Ryan

exp2000

Quote from: Ryan W on June 04, 2019, 06:43:37 PM
How clean of a fit should I expect? should the parts slip with fingertip pressure?

Any force greater than the combined tension of the pinion yoke return springs is too much.

It should be effortless.
~

Ryan W

It seems I have a ways to go then...a bearing replacement might be in my future.

exp2000