Help reading an old letter

Started by 1badf350, June 10, 2019, 11:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Im always intrigued by the local history of Washington DC. I have an early Tycoon Tackle 1000 series built for Simon Atlas Sons in Washington DC.
I recently found a letter written by Oliver Atlas to Yale Metal Products. I get the gist of what he is saying but it would be nice to know each word. I think it goes like this:

QuoteYale Metal Products Co
Strasburg PA

Gentlemen,
     I am awful sorry that I did write you about ?????? for credit the six only Yale Surf Winders @ 3.50ea, less discount, total $9.98.
     My oldest brother has been very ill and to my ????? sorry we put Him away last week, so please excuse me this time.
                               Respectfully
                                       Oliver Atlas

Can anyone tell what the missing words are?
Here is a picture of the actual letter

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

Some history
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Crow

I think the first word is "returning"....sort of makes sense, in context, too.

That's a very , nice "grouping" !! I'll bet you are "on the hunt" for any other "paperwork", too, aren't you !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

1badf350

Ahhh yes Crow I believe you are correct. Thanks!
Now  i just need to figure out what he said about his ill brother
-Chris

RowdyW

Maybe the second word is "sorrow" but he miswrote it.       Rudy

Crow

That's what I was thinking, also, Rowdy !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Brewcrafter

I'm with Rudy - I think he meant to write "Sorrow", however since it was clearly an apology note for someone requesting credits on products and given that he probably was a little distracted given the situation, he wrote "sorry" a second time instead.  So neat to have old documents and Thanks for sharing! 

1badf350

What do you think he means by "we put Him away last week". Is that an old way of saying he died? Ive never heard that phase before and to me it seems strange.
-Chris

Crow

Yes, I would say that the brother was "buried"...."put away".    My wife's family (the "older members") used "laid away", or "put away", in that context. Example: Harry "passed"(died)on the 13th, but we didn't "put him away", until the 20th, as the family had to "assemble"( family from far away had to travel home). When we read stuff from "days gone by", they sometimes don't make a lot of sense to us....phrasing, idioms...."slang" were different, with different meanings than we are accustomed to, now.

1badf350

-Chris