Gulf Stream trip June 15, 2019

Started by thorhammer, June 16, 2019, 12:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Only a few bites on the troll, but quality fish. Seas very calm and only 80 degrees, very nice day. Everything was keying on pink, and I got the hoo on the WWB on a pink squid chain on mono- lucky hook placement. NOTHING hit the planer rod- not even cuda...that's a first. Found a great weedline formed 60 lines formed on the 100 fathom curve, and pulled between the Nipple and the Same Ole'. Had very shy mahi under boat at one point- would spit even a chuck with a very small hook on fluoro quickly. Got another mahi or two and the usual snapper, sea bass, porgy on the way in for ceviche this afternoon. Got a few nice AJ's that were fun jigged on light tackle, all released. I used a Cortez Jiggy with a BPS Extreme rod rated for 30-100 braid but it feels more limber than some of my bass rods- nice rig. Used a Cortez 113H for some of the bottom fishing and it was very nice, very solid but quick on retrieve and I had Ted's Johnny Bench camo grip on it, first time I used that and it was very comfortable and powerful.

Trolling bite was all on pink whatever's over dink 'hoos.

John

thorhammer

mo65

Bravo John!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

ReelFishingProblems

conchydong

That's a quality Dolphin and Wahoo.  Great job and happy eating.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Donnyboat

Very nice John, thanks for taking us along, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Very nice John! next time you'll need to lift the tip of that dorsal fin and really show that Do Do off...but it still looks good though ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Hardy Boy

Great fish! Wish I was there. I will get a Hoo one of these days.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Dorado are excellent eating and fighting fish.  I don't know about in the Gulf Stream but down in Baja they do great acrobatic leaps when hooked.  Good work John.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Thanks! Yes, they are very acrobatic and fantastic grilled, fried or as ceviche. In fact we play them tip down like a bass when to keep headshaking the hook off.

steelfish

wow, nice fish there Johny boy.

good eating for some days
The Baja Guy