Hello and a Penn 200 question.

Started by Tcc3, June 22, 2019, 12:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tcc3

Hello all!  I'm new to this board and hoping to find some info as I try to renew my love for fishing!  I recently dug out some ancient reels from my basement and have been getting them back to life.  Two Mitchell 3-0-2 Saltwater spinning reels and a Mitchell 300.  All went pretty well (thank you eBay)!

Now I'm working on a Penn 200 Surfmaster, and particularly the drag washers.  The original synthetic washers crumbled when they came out and I'll replace them with the Penn Carbontex washers.  Looking at the schematic the part 4-60G washer that sits under the main gear looks like a different type of washer and so my question is what to replace it with?

Thanks for reading and I hope someone will have an answer for me.

Good fishing!

T

mo65

Hi T,
   I'm not sure what that number 4-60G you gave for the under gear washer is...this link will show you the correct #4-155. You're right...it's a hard smooth material...different than the drag washers. Good luck! 8)

https://www.mysticparts.com/4-155-Washer-Hard-Fiber-Spacer-Under-Main-Gear-P23089.aspx
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tcc3

Thanks mo65!  That looks like what I need.  Appreciate the reply and the link!

George6308

Besides the 4-155 stock fiber washer, there are at lease three other ways to go:
1. Use a 6-113 HT 100 drag washer aka Alan's Sqidder rebuild post.
2. Use a Teflon or Delrin washer via Sal's preference available from Smooth Drag (Dawn)
3. One of Brian Young's five stack set ups.

happyhooker

Greetings, Tcc3, from Minnesota, USA.  Those old Mitchells have lots of fans here.

Frank

Tcc3

Thanks, George for the info on options..very helpful.  I've ordered the 4-155 and will try that first.  Also thanks to HH for the greetings.  I wish I'd known about this forum when I was trying to figure out those old Mitchells.  The 300 dates back to the mid '60s.  Those were the days, my friend!

T

George6308

The Mitchell 300's have a serial number on the underside of the reel foot. It can be referenced on the Mitchell Museum web site. I am working on one with a 9300000 number making it a1970 reel. They started making them in the 40's with final production in 1989 & 1990. The last two years production made from leftover parts.