Black max 3600 question

Started by Gpaw, June 22, 2019, 08:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gpaw

High everybody. I am new here, first post but I have been lurking around for a while. This is a great place to learn and read how to clean and repair reels! I have a black max 3600, the writing is rubbed off but I can see the 36. It is one of the round reels, it's smaller than my 5500c. My question is, when I cast my 5500c the level wind goes back and forth just like when you reel it in. On the 3600 it only moves when you reel it in, not when the line is going out. I'm thinking something is broken? Or is this the way it is supposed to be? Thanks.

akfish

It's a feature that is supposed to increase casting distance. When you cast the spool revolves and because it doesn't have to drive the level wind should result in a longer cast. I'm not a good enough caster to notice the difference...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gpaw

So that is the way its supposed to be? I will give it another try. Thanks for the quick reply.

oc1

The 5500 is called synchronous levelwind.  The 3600 is called disengaging levelwind.  I'm a disengaging guy but there are proponents of each.
-steve

Gpaw

Thanks, I need to get a better rod to put it on.

Gpaw

Can someone help me with this serial number? It has 020204 on the bottom of reel plate. I have searched and cannot find a tutorial on a 3600.

tholmes

There is a lot of info on the Black Max and other similar reels (Pro Max, etc.) here                                                              http://www.realsreels.com/servicing/servicingtuningABUBlackMax.html

Tom