113H, How much will it stand ?

Started by Crow, June 23, 2019, 01:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

OK, The "stock" brass bridge....with a stainless sleeve(mostly for the extra strength at the handle end)....and one stainless dog, and 5 stack drags. How much will it stand ? Is "bridge failure" something that happens very often ? And what about the sleeve "shaft"...is there a history of failure on these reels ? I'll admit, I'd LIKE a stainless, double dog bridge, but, I'm wondering if I NEED that much "guts"......I don't plan on a "frame", or aftermarket plates.....this won't be a "tank"....more of a "jeep". You guys who have fished these reels for years, .....and on bigger fish than I'll be dealing with, I need some input !  Thanks !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

I like the stock 113h for straight 40 or 50 pound mono and 12 to 15 pounds of drag. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

You'll never break a stock 113h. There is no weakness in the stock bridge. The drags will slip or line will break long before anything breaks even with the bronze gears and dog.         Rudy

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on June 23, 2019, 02:14:53 AM
You'll never break a stock 113h. There is no weakness in the stock bridge. The drags will slip long before anything breaks even with the bronze gears and dog.         Rudy

Not always the case ;D
I have seen a 113h with cracked head plate twice in the past, I've also replaced  bridges.
On one, the sleeve was welded to the post and the post was lose on the bridge plate.
I guess it has to do on how hard you push them.

Quote from: Crow on June 23, 2019, 01:49:15 AM
OK, The "stock" brass bridge....with a stainless sleeve(mostly for the extra strength at the handle end)....and one stainless dog, and 5 stack drags. How much will it stand ? Is "bridge failure" something that happens very often ? And what about the sleeve "shaft"...is there a history of failure on these reels ? I'll admit, I'd LIKE a stainless, double dog bridge, but, I'm wondering if I NEED that much "guts"......I don't plan on a "frame", or aftermarket plates.....this won't be a "tank"....more of a "jeep". You guys who have fished these reels for years, .....and on bigger fish than I'll be dealing with, I need some input !  Thanks !
These are listed to handle 20 lb. at max from Penn, you could push them to close to 30lb when using custom parts available to us.
Stock should do just fine if kept at where the boss has mentioned.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

We used factory 113Hs for halibut with 80# braid. The capacity works even down to 700ft. I'm certainly not saying that a factory 113H should be fished like an 80# reel, but the reel is extremely flexible.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Crow

Thanks for the responses, Guys !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !