14-99 spring

Started by Crow, June 24, 2019, 02:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

A question for you fellas that have had more reels apart, than I have. Are there any springs used (coil type) that are longer than the 14-99 ? Or , will I have to wind my own, if I want a longer , stiffer spring ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

RowdyW

I don't know of any in a Penn reel. To long & more pressure might cause it to buckle losing any advantage unless it is made of thicker ss wire. JMO.           Rudy

Crow

OK, Thanks , Rudy ! A little longer spring would *probably* be ok, for me, as it's about "half covered" (captive) in a "pocket", but I can always put a small "block" of plastic  In the "pocket", under the spring...that will do what I need to do.  Thanks again !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

RowdyW

Quote from: Crow on June 24, 2019, 03:56:05 PM
OK, Thanks , Rudy ! A little longer spring would *probably* be ok, for me, as it's about "half covered" (captive) in a "pocket", but I can always put a small "block" of plastic  In the "pocket", under the spring...that will do what I need to do.  Thanks again !
How about a small piece of plastic or graphite behind the spring to increase the tension?

George6308

I lost the detent ball out of a FN trigger quite a few years ago. Shimmed the small spring with a small detent ball to make the length and strength need. This might work with the 14-99 spring. The roundness of the spring will hold the required detent ball in place in its hole.
Brownells has the detent balls or one might be obtained  from a local gun shop as you only need one. They also carry the detent springs however 1/16 is their smallest diameter.

Crow

Shimming the spring...with something, ....is probably the easiest way out. I'd tear a Bic lighter apart...I seem to remember that the spring they use is *about* the same O.D. as the dog spring....but, I don't smoke, so, no lighter ! 

Bill B

Try the cheaper lighter, the Bic brand springs seem a little too small.  I have a neighbor that picks up trash around our lake and he has been bringing me all the lighters he finds.  I will post some pictures of the springs when he brings the next haul of lighters....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

We have successfully used the lighter springs in Penn reels...here's a few pics...and a facebook post discussing it. 8)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/todayonthewater/search/?query=Penn%20350%20post%20by%20jeff%20shaver&epa=SEARCH_BOX
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Robert Janssen

IIRC Bic Mini lighter springs are smaller than Bic Standard springs.

For very small springs, have a look at spring bars for wristwatches. Usually available in ten-packs at hobby type stores for a few bucks.

Crow

As luck would have it, my wife picked up a "Scripto" disposable lighter, on her walk, yesterday. When we do our "walk a bouts", we generally pick up any trash we come across, and dump it in the trash can at the park (across the street from us) on our way home. When I mentioned to her to "watch for a lighter", she said she'd just "trashed" one....so, I did a bit of "dumpster diving" ;D. I didn't measure the spring, when I took the lighter apart...but it appears to be the same diameter, longer, and a bit "stiffer"....so I should be able to cut it to the length I need !
   Actually, if I had paid "better attention", the "stock" spring would have been able to be used, but, I had a "bit of a slip" with the Dremel ::)

foakes

If, when completely servicing a Penn reel — I feel it needs a little more spring tension — usually just stretching the spring works for me.

It gives it a little more tension — plus it is contained within a spring cavity anyway.  If that doesn't work, I just install a new spring.

Most any spring will work — if it is the right size and suits the purpose.

Sometimes, if a spring is too stiff — other issues will arise over time — extra wear, catching, etc..

On some Penns that use a copper flat spring — for more tension, I just bend the strip straighter — then install it.

Daron, on the larger Senators, used the SS strips from an old windshield wiper blade.  I also have done that, after Daron's recommendation — and it works very well.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

I believe lighter springs will rust fairly quickly, but they're easy to replace.
-steve

Crow

I've stretched them , a little , too, but I need "quite a bit" of extra length.....maybe another 1/8 inch, so shimming the original, or making a longer one seems like the best option.  I plan on a stainless sleeve....and dogs, if I can get some, so they should hold up to the 'slightly' stiffer spring. As to the rust, maybe some Corrosion X grease would hold it down to a minimum ? This whole project (a 49 width 113H) is a shot in the dark, anyway.......just another chance to "tinker" :D

RowdyW

Crow, if I may ask, why do you need a longer spring in a 113h plate when you are changing the width of the reel. The 113h plates will fit on any width 113h reel without alteration. It's a bolt on operation.