1.5 day trip out of San Diego

Started by Hamachi, June 25, 2019, 05:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

SoCalAngler

Nice catch.

On a 1.5 day trip 4 can be taken and still be legal so don't rack the rod or hook and hand after landing your second unless you want to ;)

stoked4fishin

Nice going Warren!  I'm on the AVET 1.5 day on the SOA leaving July 6 returning July 8.

Hamachi

Hey, thanks Jeff! Good luck on your trip.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Hamachi

Quote from: Steve-O on June 26, 2019, 01:15:31 PM
Nice catch! Hope you saved those monsta sized collars. Yum.  Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, ate up one set, and looking for the other! Shh! People don't know, and they'll give you theirs.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Mjg378

MarkT

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 26, 2019, 07:36:06 PM
Nice catch.

On a 1.5 day trip 4 can be taken and still be legal so don't rack the rod or hook and hand after landing your second unless you want to ;)

On day and a half you only fish on one day!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Way to go Warren, beautiful fish!

Maxed Out

Dang, I'm a bit jealous

Nice catch and hope the good fishing continues for SoCal
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Quote from: Hamachi on June 26, 2019, 05:20:51 AM
Quote from: sabaman1 on June 26, 2019, 01:07:13 AM
Congratulations Hamachi on a very nice bluefin! I plan to get in on the action myself real soon. Was your fish on bait and 40# line?
Yes. I used 50 lb. test and sardine.
Thanks guys for all your responses. Good luck Mark!
Tim, I hope they're still biting next month when we go!
Alan switch boats and go with us!
Newell nut, freezer's ok but fresh is mo better!
2 is the limit on bluefin in ca.
Boat: Pacific Queen
Trip:1.5 days
Cost: 360 going up to 390 starting July
What worked: 2 speed reels, live bait, fluorocarbon leaders, 40 or 50 lb. test, circle hooks, 3turn surgeons knot, the rail is your friend.
What didn't work: trolling, flat falls, 30 lb. test and under.
Thanks for the advise Warren.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on July 01, 2019, 02:12:50 AM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 26, 2019, 07:36:06 PM
Nice catch.

On day and a half you only fish on one day!

It's not about fishing time it is about time on the water and fishing in Mexico's zone.

Check CONAPESCA's web site regarding daily bag limits for Pacific BFT. The only restriction I see is no more than 6 BFT per trip, that's for trips 3 days or longer. Also the daily bag limit is 2 BFT per day, so after a 24 hour period that gives you 2 daily bag limits.

MarkT

I find the regs hard to read but the 2 per day is a US reg and also by the US rules a 1 1/2 day trip is just a one day boat.  You have to fish for 12 hours on the last day to have it count as a day for limits.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shark Hunter

Great Job Warren!
Hot Stick Hamachi. ;)
Life is Good!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: MarkT on July 02, 2019, 02:03:39 AM
I find the regs hard to read but the 2 per day is a US reg and also by the US rules a 1 1/2 day trip is just a one day boat.  You have to fish for 12 hours on the last day to have it count as a day for limits.
\
Here is the rule for fishing in US waters off California, quoted directly from the 3 day permit application, which the boat operator must file before leaving port, and to be totally safe, must have a copy validated by the DOW on board:

TRIP DURATION – MUST BE CONTINUOUS AND EXTEND FOR AT LEAST 12 HOURS ON FIRST AND LAST DAYS OF THE TRIP
DEPARTURE TIME MUST BE NOON OR EARLIER AND RETURN TIME MUST BE NOON OR LATER

It appears to me that it doesn't say anything about minimum fishing time, just a minimum of 12 hours at sea on each fishing day, so theoretically, you could do a reverse 1.5 day, leaving before noon on day one, catch one limit on day one, then catch a second limit on day two, and return anytime between noon and midnight on the second day.

The same would apply to catching three limits on a 2.5 day trip.  

Some private boaters, present company excepted of course, file for three day permits, leave the boat at the dock for the first two days, then run out and fill three limits on the third day.  Of course that runs the risk of DOW observing your boat in the slip on day one and/or two.  I have been told (but do not necessarily believe) that wardens have equipment that can determine how long whole fish or fillets have been dead.