Main Menu

Shark Permits

Started by RowdyW, June 26, 2019, 03:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

To all concerned Florida Shark fishermen. As of July 1, 2019 all shark fishermen (& ladies too) must pass a quiz & have a Shark Fishing Permit. Also if you use a steel leader you will need the permit also. The info was just released today.      Rudy

Benni3

Yes more rules and regulations,,,,, :D it only takes one person doing the wrong thing,,,,, ;D

Crow

I suppose  the other Gulf Coast states will "follow suit", too. The "steel leader" thing will, no doubt> get Florida a bunch of revenue, from fines. Folks , not actually "shark fishing", but using a steelon leader" for protection against "barnacle cut offs" will get checked...and if no "permit', "Bingo" !  We've been checked (twice) while fishing around the gas rigs off Mobile Bay, to see if our hooks are correct (have to be "straight circle") even though we aren't "snapper fishing", we ARE fishing where snappers can be caught. I think most folks try to "follow the rules", IF they are aware of them !  Thanks for posting that, Rudy !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

What is the rational for the steel leader permit?  If the fish cannot bite the leader off then it will not be swimming around loose with a hook in its mouth.
-steve

RowdyW

I was going over this a little more and reading between the lines. They are saying 4ft. or longer steel leader is a shark leader. So I guess if you are using a steel leader 3' 11"or less you don't have a shark rig. Also casting from shore is not shark fishing but yaking a bait out is. Just get out the BIG spinners.  ;D Whoever wrote up these new rules must be a bean counter not looking after the conservation or recreational people. They say the permit is free but they want $5.00 for a hard card. Permit renewable yearly. Lots of loopholes in this new system. By the way you must get a perfect score on the quiz or no permit.

Surf Slayer

Quote from: RowdyW on June 26, 2019, 03:38:19 PM
To all concerned Florida Shark fishermen. As of July 1, 2019 all shark fishermen (& ladies too) must pass a quiz & have a Shark Fishing Permit. Also if you use a steel leader you will need the permit also. The info was just released today.      Rudy

Quick questions. I took the shark fishing course that specifies that 80lb line is the minimum line allowed for shark fishing RIGHT  after I bought some 65lb braid for my spinning reel to catch blacktips. is there any way for "the man" to inspect and tell the difference between the two? I mean the diameter of my sufix 832 65lb braid is .015" and 80lb braid is .018".

conchydong

Quote from: Surf Slayer on June 27, 2019, 01:08:32 AM
Quote from: RowdyW on June 26, 2019, 03:38:19 PM

Quick questions. I took the shark fishing course that specifies that 80lb line is the minimum line allowed for shark fishing RIGHT  after I bought some 65lb braid for my spinning reel to catch blacktips. is there any way for "the man" to inspect and tell the difference between the two? I mean the diameter of my sufix 832 65lb braid is .015" and 80lb braid is .018".

If "the man" has a vendetta against Shark fisherman he can take a sample of your line and have it tested. Doesn't cost him anything but may cost you a lot. Always better to CYA.

RowdyW

I didn't see line size specified in todays release of the rules. The only way for FWC to know what line you are using is to measure it with a micrometer or caliper or test it on a line testing machine. The only mention of tackle is on wire leader length, non offset circle hooks, no ss hooks, and hook opening above a certain width requires a permit. No mention of line test. Did you take the quiz today? FWC just released this today that I know of. Also permit required when using a fighting belt or harness & deploying bait other than casting a hook wider than 1.5 inches at it's widest inside distance.

Surf Slayer

Quote from: RowdyW on June 27, 2019, 01:25:50 AM
I didn't see line size specified in todays release of the rules. The only way for FWC to know what line you are using is to measure it with a micrometer or caliper or test it on a line testing machine. The only mention of tackle is on wire leader length, non offset circle hooks, no ss hooks, and hook opening above a certain width requires a permit. No mention of line test. Did you take the quiz today? FWC just released this today that I know of.

I took the course yesterday and it said 80lb was the minimum. It was even one of the quiz questions. I had literally ordered my line and then took the course. some luck I have!

RowdyW

I took the quiz today & there was no question about line size.

Surf Slayer

Quote from: RowdyW on June 27, 2019, 01:45:55 AM

strange... maybe the questions vary. I remember them mentioning it in one of the videos. it stood out to me because I had just bought the 65lb line.

Surf Slayer

Quote from: RowdyW on June 27, 2019, 01:45:55 AM

I just checked. It was under module 3.

RowdyW

I think they are suggestions not in the rules. You can't tell what is an appropriate hook till the fish is on then it's to late to change the size of the hook.  ;D ;D

Surf Slayer

Quote from: RowdyW on June 27, 2019, 02:04:51 AM
I think they are suggestions not in the rules. You can't tell what is an appropriate hook till the fish is on then it's to late to change the size of the hook.  ;D ;D

Here is the question. That makes sense. I wonder how hard they are going to enforce this. I never have anyone approach me on the beach to even ask for a fishing license.

RowdyW

Of the 3 part question A B or C two of them are inappropriate so you have to pick what's closest to common sense. But it's not in the rules as was posted today. I didn't have that question in my quiz or the short film. I'm not going to get the permit & just keep fishing with a 3'11" or shorter wire leader & a 80 to 200#  8' top shot & spool full of 65# braid. What sharks, I'm Tarpon fishing.  ;D ;D